1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer grew a personality all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by v0id, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

Yup, that's right. Since the past week or so I've noticed a barely audible whistle coming from my case. Of course, it's more noticeable when the computer is shut off, but I'm wondering which component could be the culprit. I replaced my crappy dollar-store PSU with a new Antec Smartpower 2.0 back in May, so it would be very strange if the PSU has failing capacitors.

What do you folks think?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're hearing sound when the computer is off?

3. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

When the computer is off but the PSU is on. So yeah, the computer isn't "totally" off. But the whistle persists even when the computer is on.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Can you identify whether the sound is coming from the case speaker?

5. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

Doesn't seem so. Turning off my PSU and turning it on again after a few hours doesn't help. The whistling resumes immediately after I toggle that little black switch at the back of the case.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Power supplies can make noise. There is one [or more] fans inside the unit. In addition you can get a noise from a failing electrical part inside the ps.

7. v0id

v0id Thread Starter

Indeed, this particular PSU contains 2 fans. I'll take it back to the store I originally got it from in the hopes of an exchange. If that doesn't work, I'll just RMA it.

Thanks for the help folks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice