1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Hanging at BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by booboothechicken, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booboothechicken

booboothechicken Thread Starter

I have a computer about two months old that a friend built for me. It has been working flawlessly up until today. Nothing new has been installed in at least 10 reboots, and I don't have any reason to believe I've obtained any kind of virus or otherwise.

I have a 64gb kingston SSD that normally booted to windows very fast. Now, the initial loading screen before the BIOS screen takes about 10-12 seconds to load. It used to take about 2 seconds, barely noticeable, and then flash to the BIOS screen which would be up about 4 seconds now just sits there for approx a minute.

It then flashes to a black screen for a split second that I had to catch on a video camera to read that says:

"PCI Express to SATAII HOST Controller - Detecting Drives, Please Wait - Done; No Drives Found"

Then goes to a black screen with a small blinking white line in the upper left corner.

My OS drive is a 64gb Kingston SSD, My data drive is a Seagate 1tb 7200 RPM, both connected through 2 SATA cables. My mobo is an ASUS M4A87TD EVO.

I checked my SATA cables and they seem securely snug. There are no warning lights on the mobo

While hung at the BIOS screen, 4 options are present:
    DEL - BIOS Setup
    TAB - Display BIOS POST message
    F8 - Boot Menu
    Alt+F2 - Ez Flash 2

However, when pressing any of these buttons, nothing happens.

Any help is appreciated.

2. rickmamo

rickmamo

if this was an old mobo that was newly rebuilt perhaps the cmos battery could be bad and it's:
    A resulting in default values to be loaded and/or proper settings to not be saved
    B not remembering that you have a usb KB and
    C not defaulting to sata enabled

it's a bit of a long shot but may be a 2 dollar fix if it's applicable in your case

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With the system OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives both hd and optical. Disconnect any usb type device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Reseat ram and make sure it is fully seated in the slot.

Now pw ON and see if the system completes post and if you can access the bios. If you can, then shutdown and connect devices one at a time until you find what is stopping post. If the system does not complete post in the above config, then you will need to swap basic parts ie mb, ram, cpu, video with known good units.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice