1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer hangs at random intervals, works in safe mode but not in selective start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mcdug, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcdug

mcdug Thread Starter

I recently reformatted using the recovery program that's built in with this computer because it was cluttered and virus plagued. So i reformatted but it started to hang every once in a while after i started refilling it, it was rare and occassional at first but then it got to happening more and more often. Eventually it got to a point where i had to do something drastic. i've done memory tests and checked the hard drive and it all comes out fine, and then i read somewhere someone had similiar problems and it was due to SP3 so i uninstalled it and then was without internet and my browsers stopped functioning. Once again i was forced to reformat and it functioned properly with internet and no hangs for about one session, then i updated the factory version of norton that comes with computer and restarted and now only one out of ten times im even able to click my name on the login before it freezes and if i do get in its only a matter of minutes untill it locks up again. The mouse just stops the keyboard doesnt respond and i'm forced to restart. (oh ya and all sound stops too.) So now i'm in safemode and it works fine, and i've now started experimenting with selective startup doing trial and error with different services and start up items. but basically im lost and just dicking around cuz it feels like im doing something... (>_<) so if anyone has any words of wisdom lemme have em!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/795429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice