1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer hangs at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheCGTech, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheCGTech

TheCGTech Thread Starter

My Windows XP computer hangs at the Windows screen with the logo and the bars going across the bottom. I can boot into safe mode and the same thing happens. Can someone please try to help me out.

Thanks,

TheCGTech

2. wgalanis

wgalanis

Have you tried:
    Starting your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
    1) Start your computer.
    2) When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3) When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    4) If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER

If that does not work, try Safe Mode with Command Prompt. That is the most minimal startup you can do. Hopefully, you will see a list of drivers it tries to load and see if something stops there. Also, you can run programs like eventvwr from the command line and look for error messages.

Third option is to boot from the XP CD and run the Recovery Console. This link might help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

It does not address your problem directly, but might help you in solving the problem. Doing a repair installation has worked in similar situations in the past. If you succeed, I suggest you do some serious disk checking, you may have failing hardware.

Good luck.

3. TheCGTech

TheCGTech Thread Starter

Ok, I tried the tips from the previous post and it just acts as if it is loading Windows then it reboots, the event viewer said that it was being caused by TCP/IP, NETBios, and a bunch of other network related problems and it has integrated ethernet so i diabled the network card and restarted Windows, but it still doesn't work. Any more suggestions?

4. wgalanis

wgalanis

Can you give some details on the event viewer messages? In Safe Mode with Command Prompt, the network drivers are all disabled anyway. At least you got a little bit closer and went beyond the XP logo screen. At what point did you get these results? After Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or the recovery console?

5. TheCGTech

TheCGTech Thread Starter

Ok, I tried the Last Known Good Configuration - didn't help, I tried using the Recovery Console and using the fixmbr function - didn't help, and the event viewer messages say:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

AFD
    Fips
    intelppm
    IPSec
    MPFP
    MRxSmb
    NetBIOS
    NetBT
    RasAcd
    Rdbss
    Tcpip

Thanks,

TheCGTech

6. wgalanis

wgalanis

The next step then is to open the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r to fix any possible disk errors (This can take a while). Other options are available here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041

The device manager option is interesting. The behavior you described in your first post tells me it is probably a driver hanging you up.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!