1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer hangs at Windows XP splash screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nickdawg, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

So just today my computer started acting weird. I turn it off each night rather then leave it running, but now it seems I may have no choice.

Upon turning it on this morning, I see the Windows Xp splash screen as usual, only it is taking alot longer. I notice the progress bar is freezing and then slowly filling up one bar at a time. I got up, went and got some things done around the house. I come back 15 minutes later and it's still loading at the splash screen.

So I reset, and try to go to last known good config. Same freezing issue.

I tried safe mode, and it froze while booting into safe mode.

I waited an hour, figuring maybe it needs to cool down. Same deal when I turned it back on.

In fact, the only way it works (I am using it now) is if I unplug the power cord and then plug it back in and turn it on. Everytime it freezes, that fixes the problem. Nothing else will.

I have a dual core processor, 2 gigs ram, geforce 8500 gt video card, a 430w psu, a sata 250gig hdd, a sata dvd burner and an ide dvd burner. I have never had problems like this until today.

Any ideas?

2. Dan O

Dan O

It sounds like the power supply is going bad so you will need to take it into a shop for a check up.

3. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid of, but the power supply is only about 3 months old. It's a Thermal Take 430w psu I got to go with the TT case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice