Computer Hangs on Login Screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bts

Today, I found out that my computer hangs at the login screen. I boot up the computer as normal, and the login box is shown. I click into the password field (Note: I do not have the normal welcome screen, I have the Win2000 one.) and am ready to type my password. When I begin typing my password, nothing pops up. I attempt to move the mouse, but it is frozen where it last was. Sometimes it doesn't even move (The mouse) when I first boot it up. So seeing this as any problem, I go in Safe Mode. It's a sure bet that the mouse will move. Though it moves flawlessly, the password box is where the annoyance stays. I attempt to type my password, but then my computer hangs, AGAIN.

I'm typing this from my brother's computer, and have yet to find the answer. I hear that this is some sort of password corruption and can be prevented by not having passwords on the account. I want to change this, but I can't login in the first place.

This I'm sure is not a virus. I scan for viruses every week (With Kaspersky), leave Ad-Aware, Giant Antispyware, and Zone Alarm on. I've used Google to search for answers, and yes I've found them being solved. They include the same problems, but they can get into Safe Mode, which in my case, I can't. I've tried Safe Mode 7 times and it doesn't work. (I can get in safe mode but the keyboard/mouse still hang)

I didn't have time to backup files, and I have pictures that I haven't backed up onto CDs. People that have solved this problem have done it without reformatting, and I need a solution without reformatting.

An actual guide to solving this annoying problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

System Info: (Old computer)

256MB PC133 SDRAM (Really low)
nVidia Riva TNT2
P4 1.5ghz (Really low)
Windows XP Professional
Sony PCVRX550

Specifics:

Well this occured before I visited Optimize XP. I was recommended to view this site to get the best out of my PC.

Then I turned it off. The hanging was discovered today, around 5 A.M PST. I did not download anything in the past 2 days.

Bts said:
Today, I found out that my computer hangs at the login screen. I boot up the computer as normal, and the login box is shown. I click into the password field (Note: I do not have the normal welcome screen, I have the Win2000 one.) and am ready to type my password. When I begin typing my password, nothing pops up. I attempt to move the mouse, but it is frozen where it last was. Sometimes it doesn't even move (The mouse) when I first boot it up. So seeing this as any problem, I go in Safe Mode. It's a sure bet that the mouse will move. Though it moves flawlessly, the password box is where the annoyance stays. I attempt to type my password, but then my computer hangs, AGAIN.

I'm typing this from my brother's computer, and have yet to find the answer. I hear that this is some sort of password corruption and can be prevented by not having passwords on the account. I want to change this, but I can't login in the first place.

This I'm sure is not a virus. I scan for viruses every week (With Kaspersky), leave Ad-Aware, Giant Antispyware, and Zone Alarm on. I've used Google to search for answers, and yes I've found them being solved. They include the same problems, but they can get into Safe Mode, which in my case, I can't. I've tried Safe Mode 7 times and it doesn't work. (I can get in safe mode but the keyboard/mouse still hang)

I didn't have time to backup files, and I have pictures that I haven't backed up onto CDs. People that have solved this problem have done it without reformatting, and I need a solution without reformatting.

An actual guide to solving this annoying problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

System Info: (Old computer)

256MB PC133 SDRAM (Really low)
nVidia Riva TNT2
P4 1.5ghz (Really low)
Windows XP Professional
Sony PCVRX550

Specifics:

Well this occured before I visited Optimize XP. I was recommended to view this site to get the best out of my PC.

Then I turned it off. The hanging was discovered today, around 5 A.M PST. I did not download anything in the past 2 days.
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a duff graphics card, have you got a spare one that you could try?

Bts

Appears that I don't have a spare graphics card.

If only I just kept with the welcome screen... Anyways, any other answers before my friend comes to fix it, it would be helpful for me and my friend.

Other Notes:
It had nothing to do with hibernation mode. In no way will I ever use hibernation mode.

Maybe you can do a system restore from the command promt.
Starting System Restore Tool from Command Prompt
Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

NOTE: You must log on as the administrator or a user that has administrator rights.
At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.

If that doesn't work, try a "windows repair install", here's how:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts