1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer hangs when playing anything in 3D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bopper, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bopper

Bopper Thread Starter

My computer has the following specs

- AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHZ 256k FSB266 OEM
    - JMC Arctic Blast CPU Cooler S370/462 5000 RPM Athlon 1.53GHZ/PIII 1,1 GHZ
    - SOYO K7V Dragon SocketA KT266 DDR ATA100 RAID 5PCI LAN 6-Channel Audio
    - PC2100 512 MB DDR 266 MHZ OEM
    - IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40GB HD 7200 RPM ATA/100
    - AOC 19in 9GLR .25mm [email protected] OSD
    - The NVIDIA GEFORCE 2 MX 400 64MB AGP W/TV OUT
    - Netlink 17IN A007 ToolFree ATX Tower Case 300W P4 Ready
    - Soundblaster Live 5.1

The on board sound is disabled and Soundblaster Live 5.1 has the latest drivers. The machine has been rebuilt by my works techserv. Everything is working with the latest drivers.

Now the problem is the computer crashes when I play any games. It just hangs. Everything on the screen will freeze and i have no control over the machine any longer. The computer is more than powerful enough to play the two games it hangs on and I have tested other games and the same thing happens as long as it is a 3D game. I can play Diablo II for a bit before it hangs but eventually I see flashing slashes of black on screen and then I can tell the machine will hang. If I play NHL 2002 it hangs within 5 minutes of starting up. It seems to me the more intense the graphics the faster it locks up.

If anyone has any idea there would be these lockups any help would be appreciated I am desperate. I don't want to bring the computer to store if I can fix it myself. They might take a week with it and I do need it for work.

Other than 3D applications it can do all other tasks fine. So it must be either a sound or a video problem.

Thanks

2. brianF

brianF

Are you monitoring your temps at all. Sure sounds like it's overheating. Once you start that game the work load on that cpu triples.

go to start/run/type dxdiag and press enter, display tab, is everything enabled, can you run the direct draw and dirext3d tests sucessfully.

If you not using anything to monitor cpu temps get motherboard monitor, that's what I use in place of hardware doctor for my abit board.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

3. Bopper

Bopper Thread Starter

I had that idea too but when it freezes the sound freezes and causes a whining sound. The temperature of the computer at normal is Chassis 27 C and the CPU is 44 C. So I don't know if its that.

I can run all video tests in the Dxdiag fine. I can run all the sound ones fine as well.

We aren't sure if its a conflict in the IRQ's either but the only thing on the IRQ is the Ethernet card for my cable internet. That is supposed to be the norm now when the computers come with an ethernet card. Also there is no way to change that. We have already disabled the card to see if it was that and it still crashed.

I will take the heat thing into consideration but does anybody have any other ideas also. If you need more information please say that and I will give as much detail as possible.

4. brianF

brianF

what os are you running
    what are you irq assignments

5. Bopper

Bopper Thread Starter

I am running Win 98 SE. My IRQ Assignments are as follows.

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 (free)
    4 (free)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 Creative SB Live! Value
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter
    11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    12 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Now so far we haven't been able to figure out how to change any of these. Also was the temperature fine or do you still think it could be overheating.

6. brianF

brianF

Is this onboard VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter

44c is to high for idle for me. I would redo the heatsink/fan and use some artic silver compound or good quality thermal compound.

I use to run quake3 and monitor program at same time, mine would start out at say 32 and be up to 44 in no time. No telling what yours is doing.

7. Bopper

Bopper Thread Starter

Yes the Ethernet card is on board.

8. brianF

brianF

Well I guess you could try moving the sound card to another pci slot, maybe everything will move around when you do it.
    Anything in the motherboard manual about reassigning the irq for the onboard nic. Just don't like it and the vid card on the same irq, asking for trouble.

Only other thing I can think of is to uninstall all addon's just like a new install, then add them back in one at a time. Hopefully they will grab different irq's on the reinstall.

Are you using plug and play os in your bios????????

9. brianF

brianF

10. madbadger

madbadger

If 44C is too high at idle, I'd hate to think what's gonna happen to my Athlon XP 1900+, currently running at 56C CPU, MB 36C!

It seems quite happy, Unreal Tornament running at 125 fps, with the CPU as high as 61C...........don't worry.

11. Bopper

Bopper Thread Starter

Thank a lot BrianF. I gathered up all the data on my card and am now in the process of getting it ready to return to the store I bought it from. I am not a techie and need help doing all these changes. Also it is still under warranty.

You suggestions have been great. I really appreciate it. If anybody else has suggestions just reply here.

Andy

12. brianF

brianF

Sorry, it's a nice card. Being on that darn irq sharing isn't helping.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice