computer hangs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chaltun

Can anyone advise me on what causes my computer to hang? I am running win95 with 48ram and 266mhz. No matter what program I am using, or even if I am on the internet, my computer hangs with the c drive light blinking for around 15-30 seconds, and then I can resume what I am doing. I'm not using anything that's graphics intensive. Does anyone know why the computer hangs (locks up) like this? Like I said it doesnt hang up long and I can continue whatever I am doing once the c drive light stops blinking. Many Thanks.
Norman

Hi,

Try rebooting to an MS-DOS prompt, then type in

win /d:m

This will start-up the computer in safe-mode. Once it finishes loading, try running Scandisk, and Defrag as well. When finished, reboot the system and see if it functions a bit better.

If you've already run scandisk and defrag, then I'd take a look at what programs you have running in the background. Any anti-virus software? Also, try cleaning up any temp internet files, (couldn't hurt).

Good Luck,

Columbo

chaltun

Colombo:
I have no anti virus program, no temp files (cleaned daily). Programs I run are like Encarta Encyclopedia, literature programs,.and maybe a game. Usually the games are for win 3.1-none that exceeds my system requirements. Did a derag and scan around 3 weeks ago.
Norman

OK,

Two questions:

1) How big is your HD, and how much free space do you have?

2) I know you said that you don't have any anti-virus software installed, but when was the last time that you ran a virus-scan on this system (if ever)?

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Try running this on-line virus scanner, just in case you do have something on there.

Columbo:)

P.S- You might also want to go into Control Panel and look at your Power Management settings. It might help if you disabled Power Management on the system.

Yup,

I really think that this is probably a virtual memory, or low physical memory issue.

Have you tried a RAM upgrade? Now is the time to buy.

:confused:

Columbo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online