1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by el cato, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. el cato

el cato Thread Starter

I wish to extract information from my hard drive, as I am preparing to sell same

2. rugrat

rugrat

Rephrasing your question, Do you need to extract or copy information or are you trying to ensure all information is gone? If you want to completely erase the drive, install it as a slave drive, fdisk and format it then go here
    http://www.jetico.com/download.htm
    and download the bc wipe trial version 2.37 (smaller download) and run it from your master drive using DOD 7 pass wiping. After that only the very best will be able to get anything off the drive and it will only be bits and pieces.

Good Luck.

PS: The second best method is a sledge hammer but, it makes them impossible to sell!!!:D

Edit: they changed the DoD terminology, no longer 7 pass, below is from the website,

The BCWipe utility is a shell extender for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, intended to secure delete your files. It supports correspondent U.S. Department of Defense recommendations (DoD 5200.28-STD). The BCWipe utility provides several ways to shred file's contents from the disk:
    a. Delete with wiping. Using 'Delete with wiping' command you can delete and wipe your files and folders using pop-up context menus in Windows Shell (Explorer program).

b. Wipe free disk space. If you have previously deleted sensitive files using a standard operating system command, you may wipe free space on the disk where these files were stored - all previously deleted files' contents will be erased.

c. Swap file wiping. BCWipe utility automatically wipes Windows Swap file contents when you run 'Wipe free disk space' command.

d. Recycle Bin wiping. You can wipe contents of Windows Recycle Bin by pointing on the Bin icon by mouse and running the 'Wipe Recycle Bin' command from context pop-up menu

e. Windows ME specific: allows to wipe contents of special folders, created by Windows ME 'System Restore' function.

3. el cato

el cato Thread Starter

thank you for taking the time, and speedy, to answer my question. I really did not understand all you said, I am still a novice I guess, but thanks again, el cato

4. rugrat

rugrat

If I understand you correctly, you want to make sure there is no information on the drive when you sell it. Have you already installed a new drive in the machine? Give us more detail as to what you want to do and there is an entire army of people here that will help. If you do not understand something, let us know what it is and we will explain better. We were all there once!:D

Let us know!

PS: I forgot my manners, Welcome to TSG!!! The best help site on the web!

5. el cato

el cato Thread Starter

thanks again for the comeback. I am trying to erase all the information on my hard drive that I have previously deleted from various drives. The hard drive is still in the machine. Thanks for your message and welcome, rich

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice