1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer harddrive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tickelkitten, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tickelkitten

tickelkitten Thread Starter

Im buying a new external hd, how will the computer detect it. My old one internal is not working. I also want to install windows 7 on it no 10. Thanks

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You cannot install Windows on an external drive and make it work. I would recommend replacing the Internal Hard Disk, they are generally less expensive and are not as prone to failure as External Drives are.

Please post your system specs, To include the EXACT Make and model System if Big Box or Laptop, Notebook or tablet Include Service Tag if available. or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard

3. MightyMiroWD

MightyMiroWD Western Digital Representative

Hi @tickelkitten!

I agree with @dustyjay Windows OS has limitations when it comes to install locations - you can only install it on an internal drive with few exceptions, so it will be best to get a new internal drive instead.

Once you get it simply connect it to the motherboard (via a standard SATA cable) and the PSU (via SATA power cable). You can check this installation guide for more information on how to handle and install the drive:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=CTvpjR

Then go in Disk Management where the new drive should appear as Unallocated space and partition and format it. You can follow the steps in this KB article:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=7QqLhm

Once you're done with these steps you should be ready to go.

Cheers! :)

4. tickelkitten

Ok thank u for telling me before i bought one

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  5. tickelkitten

Forgot to mention this a laptop im using

Intel pentium n3540 2.16ghz
    500 gb hsrd drive
    4096mb ddr3 sdram
    dvd +- rw optical drive
    windows 10
    15.6 diagonal hd led display

Serial 5cd5497y6c
    model 15-f272wm
    product n5y05ua#aba
    warranty 1y1yoy

Thsts all the info i have

Do u have any suggestions for me for a hard drive

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  7. tickelkitten

Yes its that one. Thanks for your help. Where isvthe hard drive on the bottom of the comp?

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

9. tickelkitten

Its just saying i need windows and cant detect hsrd drive called warranty said they cant replace the hard drive even thoght im good till next july. Would be ok to go with a new install on a new drive? I have one picked out.

Got this message :

Long dst has failed

Thinking a toshiba hd 500gb from walmsrt site. Its about $50. Would windows 7 be alright. I want win8 but 7 is not as much. Hmm decisions.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice