Computer Hardware Inventory Software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pwagner9999

I need to inventory hundreds of computers that have no OS but are networked and operational; also would be nice to be able to upload the report to a database and print a barcode sticker with the info. It would need to run from a boot cd. Everything I've seen googling only works on systems that have an OS. The info I need would be PC model, CPU speed, HDD size and RAM. ?

thanks

OBP

Do the computers have access to the web?
Do any of them have Windows, if so you could have an Access database with an "Access Page" or pages on the web.
Other than that you could probably build one using VB.

pwagner9999

They would not have an OS installed. They would have to run from some kind of boot cd.

They all have NICs and would be on a network to connect to a database hopefully.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Barcode scanning and tracking requires a whole separate set of hardware and software. I'm not sure I see the return on investment there for simply tracking an office inventory of computers. I would also assume that at some point they need an operating system installed to be of any use, so centralized server management would be the best solution.

If the computers you have are Network Attached Storage devices, often they are running stripped down OSes. Are you the network administrator? - if not, talk to her/him about it to get some answers on taking the inventory. Ask what tools were used to construct the NAS.

There may be a tool available to get the information you need - don't know for sure. Search for: NAS +tools. If Openfiler or FreeNAS was used to construct the NAS, then possibly you can use whatever was used to construct your NAS.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online