1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer hardware you think would be easy to implement yet isn't implemented?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StumpedTechy, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Please post if you have had an idea for a piece of computer hardware that would be a GREAT thing to have but noone has addressed it in development?

I'll start with mine.

With all of the periphrial connections on a laptop why can't they make a video card that plugs from your built in LCD (maybe even utilize the S-Video in connection that some laptops already have) and then plugs into your laptops connector (USB, Firewire, PCMCIA). Essentially bypassing your laptops internal (and usually inferior) video card making it so your laptop can run the latest graphics cards with the high end ram and game play benifits that PC's have?

This is something I have wondered about for years since laptops are always 2 (or 100 if your want to be realistic) steps behind in the video game aspect of the industry.

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

Nice idea, there's just one slight problem. The bandwidth of an 8x AGP slot is 2000MB/sec. The bandwidth of USB 2.0 is 60MB/sec.

3. TechGuy42

TechGuy42

Sounds good ut could be complicated to impliement

4. StumpedTechy

Yeah I was thinking of that as well. My suggestion there would be to come up with an AGP mobile solution port. Basically allow it to handle that same amount of data that AGP would. Of course that means adding on yet another port onto the laptop somewhere. This would allow it to be able to be upgraded.

My only thoughts on its requirements are 1) alternate video input than the onboard video card 2) some type of video out port and 3) Any manufacturers hardware that ulitilzes these 2 technologies.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Supply and demand. There really aren't that many people that buy a laptop and want really high end graphics.

6. StumpedTechy

On the other hand there are a bunch of people that take portability over performance. I am sure if you had it out there it would probably be more utilized more than one would think.

Think of those students with a laptop for school - untapped market I should think.

As it is I now have a laptop and a full PC and how many others have a PC for gaming and one for portability? I am sure the number is larger than you would think.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. StumpedTechy

No good - still embeded and will easily be outdated as new video cards come out. By doing it this way you can use your regular laptop and just upgrade the video component.

Basically I want to see laptops become alot less propriatary when it comes to video.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Several Alienware models and other laptops have upgradable graphics cards. You should also realise that the more powerful graphics use more power and drain the battery much quicker. An external video card would be clumbsy and take away from portability.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Like I said, supply and demand. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice