1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer has 4GB but it says I have 3GB?????!!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Human_Traces, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Human_Traces

Human_Traces Thread Starter

I have checked on the Can you run it website to check whether my driver update worked allowing me to play the Sims 2 (see my other post if you really feel the need ;)) and it says that I only have 3GB of Ram when I in fact have 4GB. Is this because Win7 is so performance intensive?

Thanks in advance

Phillip

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    32 bit systems can only see ~3Gig .. 64 bit systems can see more ..
    You got W7 64bit ???

3. Human_Traces

Human_Traces Thread Starter

No Win7 32bit. Would that make a difference when it comes to spec requirements? Does that mean I can only support games and software that requires 3GB rather than 4GB?

4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm not a Gamer .. or a hardware wizard ..
    But, I would think that 3 gig should be OK when running the game as a standalone application .. depending on the Game maybe ??

I'm thinking your processor is 64 bit capable .. Why do you have W7 32 bit ??

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Does This help any ???

It's a little early yet .. May have to wait on the Gamers to wake up after a long night of Gaming :D

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

As Noyb said, its a 32 bit thing. as far as gaming goes- and I have to admit to playing a lot of them- I have never found a game that will not run fine on 32 bit with 4 gig. Very few games are optimized for 64 bit, and even less benefit from more memory.

As for 32 against 64 bit- I have a 64 bit system, with W7, but I also dual boot Win 7 32 bit, for work and other bits and pieces. There are several apps, printers ( I have an A1) and suchlike that refuse to work in 64 bit, either there are no drivers, or they have compat issues. Could well be why the OP has gone 32 bit.

7. kieron77

kieron77

64bit essentially uses up more memory to run than a 32bit hence why it can read more. I have 4gb but my operating system is xp 32bit so it only registers something like 3.2gb.

8. wiley8425

wiley8425

I think the actual is more like 3.5, but it only shows 3.2. Anyways if all you're talking about is 4 gig's that .5 gigs doesn't make a huge difference. With today's Motherboards supporting more than 32 Gigs of ram though, moving up to a 64 bit OS may eventually become the standard.

9. kieron77

kieron77

True, once most of the bugs and such especially for certain 3D animation programs has been fixed I'll move upto 64bit, more than likely with windows 7 (once thats been out a little longer)

10. peck1234

peck1234

You should definitely upgrade to a 64bit OS to utilize all your ram and achieve the best possible performance with your i5.

The i5 architecture was made to run on 64bit!

11. Cardboard Box

Cardboard Box

Hi

Yeah, don't 32 bit systems only support 3 gig ram.

12. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

Sigh... I wish people wouldn't just come in here and make things up that sound good.

64 bit doesnt use any more or less memory just because its 64 bit. It reads more because it has a 64 bit address space, rather than a 32 bit one.

32 bit OS also will read and address 4 GB of memory address space TOTAL. This total is diminished by your gfx memory, among other things. For example, if you have a 1 gb video card and 4GB of ram installed... your system might show that you have < 3GB available. If you have a 512mb card, it would show a bit less than 3.5gb (accounting for other memory address spaces OTHER than gfx of course).

It is not because a 64 bit OS requires more memory.

Also, very few motherboards actually support more than 8-12GB of ram, even these days.

13. wiley8425

wiley8425

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice