1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer has rebooted from a bugcheck?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ravenbi7ch, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ravenbi7ch

ravenbi7ch Thread Starter

Ok...I just installed 2 gigs of RAM into my machine and hooked the monitor up to the wrong spot on the back (the MB spot rather than the vid card) Anyway, I could see the machine boot up, check the keyboard, etc, except for a black monitor. After it booted, I heard the bubbles popping up that say Detected new Hardware or whatever (couldn't see them...) Anyway, it rebooted itself while I was at a loss as to why no monitor. Got that figured out after shutting the system down blind. Started it up again and everything seemed to be fine for about 6-7 minutes. I had 4 windows open and minimized (with 3 sites I access frequently so I leave them there and the 4th I surf with) I had MSN Im running also. I then clicked on my Steam icon to start that because when I'm not playing on our game server, I monitor the server thru it. When after clicking on that the screen when black and the computer rebooted itself.

I found this in the Event logger:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x00041284, 0x77c01001, 0x00000000, 0xc0883000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110707-02.dmp

Can anyone tell me what this is - other than a memory issue? And would just installing new RAM cause something like this? System has been running now for about an hour without a repeat (but I've only 3 windows and Steam running, no 4th window and no IM.)

Thanks,
    raven

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

Navigate to C:\windows\minidump
    Zip some of the recent minidumps and Attach Them Here

3. ravenbi7ch

There's only two in the folder - zipped and attached them. (Hope I did it right.)

Attached Files:

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

Check Microsoft Update for Available updates

Also .. update All Your other Drivers

** What is "OVCODEK2.sys" **

5. ravenbi7ch

Ran into a problem with this...pic attached of what I get when I go to the Windows Update site. Second pic is the solution they give at the bottom.

Here is my HOSTS file:
    ------
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    -----

The only entry in there is for localhost so I haven't commented it out or changed it per their instructions. Is 127.0.0.1 the line I'm supposed to erase or get rid of? I know that IP refers to my computer, so it's confusing me.

How do I do that? Or where do I go to make sure they are all up-to-date?

I don't have a clue as to what that is or what installed it.

Attached Files:

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

7. ravenbi7ch

Ok...followed the steps in method one and still got the same error :(

Now what?

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

9. ravenbi7ch

Followed the steps from the first link, including this one:

• proxycfg -d
    • net stop wuauserv
    • net start wuauserv

I didn't do a reboot at the time, instead choosing the flush dns option they presented. Shut down when I went out for a while though. When I came back home and rebooted is when the fun started. I tried to boot up IE and the first few times the window would open and I could see it trying to connect, but then the little warning window would pop up - the one that says: Internet Explorer encountered a problem and has to shut down - we're sorry for the inconvenience. After a few times, IE wouldn't try to open at all and I'd just get the warning window. I then tried to boot up Steam and it told me it couldn't connect to the Steam network because there was no internet connection! It rebooted at least once in there if I'm remembering right.

I tried to right click on My Computer and go to Manage and it would open up, but then I got a warning window that said Microsoft Management Control Panel encountered and error and had to shut down. That one freaked me out for sure.

I tried to do a system restore from my last restore point - which was Wednesday night after I installed the new RAM. It rebooted during that attempt and popped up a warning saying the restore failed because Windows was shut down improperly. Ending up going back to the last restore point that the computer made from Tuesday. That one restored successfully. Had to update the MacAfee Virus stuff on the computer, to bring that up to date again.

Shut down again to go back out. When I got back home, I booted up again. I was going to close IE after checking my email so I could run a full virus scan and right as I clicked the X at the top of the window, the system rebooted itself yet again. It seems to be happening about 7-10 minutes after I boot up.

I've already checked the HOSTS file. There is no entry in there for the Windows Update sites at all. Just the 127.0.0.1 local host entry. I don't have Automatic Updates enabled. I have the option enabled that Windows alerts me to updates and I click to get them. That's just the way I prefer it. I have no idea if the update would have failed before I posted here about the rebooting after a bugcheck, but that seems to be another problem altogether.

These problems only started Wednesday night after I installed the new RAM. I took the heat sink off the processor to clean the dust out of it. I'm sure it's reseated properly. I'm sure the RAM is seated properly. If there was a physical problem with the board, could it cause this kind of issue?

Should I take out the new RAM, reinstall the 512 stick that was in here before the problem started and see if the problem is still there? Should I switch the new RAM sticks around? Does RAM require a driver to work properly? The motherboard is supposed to be able to handle 2 gigs of RAM max which is what I just installed. I contacted the techs for eMachines, who told me the proper speed and specs for the RAM the board would support. I'm frustrated right now because I'm not sure what I can and can't click on that will provoke another freaking reboot!

Oh, I also ran HiJackThis and am posting the log here. And the virus scan I ran came up clean. There's been a few more of those minidumps since I started this thread, and I've zipped them and posted them too.

Attached Files:

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

i Have Looked at one minidump and it is pointing at "Daemon Tools"

But one Minidump is insufficient for determining the root cause of Crashing
    i'm signing out right now . but will look at other minidumps later

BugCheck 4E, {99, 0, 0, 0}
    Probably caused by : mfehidk.sys ( mfehidk+142f9 )

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/529/KB47537_f.SAL_Public.html

11. peterdiva

peterdiva

Bugcheck 1A is almost always related to a RAM problem. Try running the new RAM one stick at a time.

12. devil_himself

devil_himself

*******************************************************************************
    * Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000000A, {4b77, ff, 0, 80531d36}

Unable to load image mfehidk.sys, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mfehidk.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mfehidk.sys
    Probably caused by : mfehidk.sys ( mfehidk+7a39 )

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

kd> !analyze -v
    * Bugcheck Analysis *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
    An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
    interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
    caused by drivers using improper addresses.
    If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00004b77, memory referenced
    Arg2: 000000ff, IRQL <-- Invalid IRQL<> Faulty Memory or Device Driver Improperly Installed
    Arg3: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
    Arg4: 80531d36, address which referenced memory

From STACK_TEXT: --

b34bd98c b71a6111 00000002 01d79c1c 89219868 mfehidk+0x7a39 <-- Mcafee
    b34bda24 b71b830f cccccccc 89b236c8 8976f020 mfehidk+0x8111 <-- Mcafee
    b34bda4c 804ee0ef 8976f020 89d79a68 89d79a68 mfehidk+0x1a30f <-- Mcafee

13. ravenbi7ch

So it's related to the new RAM and to Mcafee? A specific Mcafee file called mfehidk.sys? What exactly is that file? Is it absolutely needed or something the program can run without? (Sort of like the torque conventor in my old car - it caused the car to stall any old time it felt like it, mechanic disabled it telling me car would run fine without it - and it did - it was just another non-essential piece to go bad and cost me money to replace)

I'm not understanding why this file didn't cause a problem before Wednesday of last week, which is why I'm focusing on the new RAM...

So what are the ways to correct this? Other than reinstalling the RAM one stick at a time? Is there a fix from Mcafee on this file? Or could the RAM itself be bad?

As far as Daemon Tools goes, what program would install that? I did install PowerISO a few months ago but rarely use it (so it could be removed.) I also have PowerDVD on here (came preinstalled) that I don't use.

14. devil_himself

devil_himself

Hmm.... Either Update your Version of Mcafee .. If Didn't Work then Unisntall it

15. ravenbi7ch

Ok...I took out the new RAM today. Made sure everything inside the computer was connected and seated properly. I then reinstalled 1 gig of the new RAM and connected the computer back up. Knock on wood, everything seems to be running okay right now. No restarting itself and it's running at almost 30 minutes right now. Strange indeed.

Also, I noticed this morning that the clock was changing itself - I looked at it and it said 7:00 am, then not a minute later I looked and it said 6:56 am. I know I didn't imagine it. I think it was doing it last night too. Also, last night, I booted up after work and it shut itself down to a blue screen giving me a warning that it shut down to prevent physical damage and if this was the first time I saw that screen (it was) to reboot and see if it happens again. It also mentioned a physical problem with the memory. (It didn't happen again after the reboot last night, but that's when I started getting a warning in one of my game rooms about not changing the system date and time on my computer or be booted from the game....)

Also, after booting up today, I went to the Windows Update site and it actually showed me any updates I needed rather than the can't not process your request.

My questions now are: Is it possible that something wasn't seated properly and that was causing this freaky-deaky stuff to happen? Is it possible that despite what the eMachines tech say, my Motherboard will NOT support up to 2 gigs of RAM? Or could it have been Windows NOT supporting that much RAM in this machine for some reason? Or Mcafee freaking out about it?

I'd really like to have the 2 gigs of RAM because of the graphic intensity of most of the games I play (all FPS games like HL2, PainKiller, Postal 2 (and I really want S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

How long should I give it with no restarts or minidumps before trying to install the 2nd gig again? And if the 2nd gig stick creates the problems again, should I deem that stick faulty and ask the manufacturer (crucial.com) for a replacement to make sure it was faulty or really a problem with the MB running with 2 gigs of RAM?

(I'm not really this stupid all the time I promise LOL I just cleaned my Dad's system - he was infected with that AntiVirGear bit.)

Keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't spoken too soon about it being cleared up....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!