1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer has trouble starting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jmental, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jmental

Jmental Thread Starter

I'll go ahead and start this by saying i have the side of my computer completely off, exposing the insides. I have to do this because my compute over heats if i do not have a box fan parked next to to cool it down.

With that being said, My computer worked fine when I left for school, I came back from school and suddenly it wouldn't start. It's not an overheating issue because everything inside is cool. I managed to get my computer to start a few times and it would get stuck at part where windows plays a noise to symbolise the computer is being started, the sound skips andnasty sounds come from my speakers.

this gave me the idea to go ahead and turn off my speakers andunplug everything. It still all didnt work. Then I went to bed and woke up the nextmorning and tried again. It started right up! then 20 minutes later i realised I didnt have the fan next to it to cool it down so I put the fan back, as soon as i swung the fan around it froze up and wouldn't start.

I didnt have time to mess with it and went to work, came home, still nothing. So I went to school, i just got home and got the idea to move a cable going from my sound card to the front of my computer around. I did that and partially perched it on the outside of my computer so it would stay in one spot.

My computer started up and I am typing to you on it right now.

So I beleive the problem stems from my sound card, but i'm not sure if it's just coincidence.

Can anyone help me out? I hope i didn't ramble and I'm sorry but it seems my keyboard is messing up too and I can't space properly or whatever.

I'd greatly aprpeciate any help you could give me, including berating me for doing something dumb like leaving my case open to an exposed fan but i just dont have money for another computer fan and it was my only option!

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

What is your computer skill level?

Did you build the computer?

Do you understand electrostatic precautions?

What brand & model is your computer? If custom, which motherboard [ brand & model ]?

Which sound card; brand & model?

With the computer off, remove the sound card.

Turn on the computer. Report the results.

Case fans cost < $25.00, generally. Hopefully this adventure will cost you less $$.

RF123

3. Jmental

Jmental Thread Starter

my computer skill level is probably slightly below average. i can operate computers, i can fix some problems with them (mostly from hard earned personal experience.)

No I didn't build the computer it was prebought i beleive. It's old and it wasn't mine originally.

Electrostatic what?

It's a dell with a average motherboard i think.

I'm looking on Device manager right now and I can't even find my sound card.

4. Jmental

Jmental Thread Starter

Ok, i just had to move my fan over and cool my computer down and it just shut off on me. i made sure the cord was in the right place and i restarted and it restarted no problem. I think there is a loose wire in there somewhere. What do I do? :confused:

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

I would like to see what you have in Device Manager.
    RIGHT click "computer" or "my computer"
    Left click "manage".
    Maximize the screen.
    Left click "device manager"
    Left click the "+" to the left of sound, video & game controllers.

Create a screen shot & attach it to your next reply.

How to create a screen shot.
    Creating a screen shot requires:
    1. a keyboard with a key labeled "Print Screen". This may be abbreviated "PrtScn", "PrntScn", or some other variation. It is usually to the right of

the F12 key
    2. a destination program. Microsoft WordPad, and Paint, which are built into Windows 95 and beyond, as well as Microsoft Word, not a part of

Windows will suffice. My favorite is Paint, because it provides the greatest versatility. Paint saves images, by default, as bitmap files [ .bmp ],

which are very large files, but we will work around that issue. Paint also provides editing features.
    2.a. To open Paint
    left click "start"
    left click "programs" [ or "all programs" ]
    left click "accessories
    Left click "paint"
    3. Press the "PrtScn" [ or similar button ] on your keyboard.
    4. Open the destination program [ see # 2 above ].
    5. Maximize the screen of the destination program.
    6. Left "edit" across the top.
    7. Left click "paste".
    8. Save the file to your "Desktop", "My Documents", or other location of your choice.
    8.a. If using Paint, save it as a .jpg / .jpeg.
    Left click "file"
    Left clicks "save as".
    Near the bottom, where it says "save as type", left click on the down pointing arrow.
    look for jpeg or jpg.
    Left click on jpeg or jpg.
    Left click "ok".

Come back to this forum & thread.
    Left click the button "go advanced".
    Left click the button "manage attachments".
    Browse to the location of the file.
    After you have found the file, left click the button "upload".
    When finished, left click "close window".
    Left click the button "submit reply".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/screenshot.mspx

Download SIW.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/SIW/siw.html
    Install / Run it.
    Post the results.

RF123

6. Jmental

Jmental Thread Starter

I tried to upload the screen shot but it says upload fails..

7. Jmental

Jmental Thread Starter

there i got it

Attached Files:

8. Jmental

Jmental Thread Starter

ok i downloaded and installed the snap files stuff but i don't really feel comfortable putting SO much information out on the internet. is there any specific part you'd like to see?

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Please download install and run this and post the resulting temperatures:

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures

http://www.almico.com/speedfan432.exe

Do this with the fan cooling and also without the fan cooling to see the difference in temps..

Also go to the store and purchase a can of compressed air and use it to blow out the processor and heat sink.

Also have you removed the processor for anything at all?

10. Jmental

Jmental Thread Starter

I alreayd have Speedfan and I monitor my temps religiously.

No i haven't removed the processor. right now my comp is at local temp 42 remote temp 37 hd0 30

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

j:
    Motherboard, processor, [ brand & model of each ]
    Amount of ram [ quantity, # of sticks; # of MB per stick ]
    Add in cards
    power supply; wattage; brand & model - This information is probably not on SIW report.

Device Manager tells us the list of device drivers being used by your computer. USUALLY, device drivers correspond with devices [ sound / audio card for example ].

In Dev Mgr, across the top:
    "view"
    Left click "show hidden devices" [ or similar verbage ]
    If anything new under sound video game controllers appears, please send another screen shot.

I respect your desire for privacy!

Follow OZ's advice. NEVER use a vacuum cleaner, inside the computer. NEVER use industrial strength compressed air.

Is the sound card still in the computer?
    Brand & model please.

Electrostatic Precautions
    http://www.shopsaskatchewan.com/Build-Computer-tutorial/build-your-own-computer.htm

RF123

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

J:
    "i made sure the cord was in the right place and i restarted and it restarted no problem."
    Which cord?

If the power cable [ from back of computer to electricity source ] replace it; The cord that powers your monitor is probably the same type as the cable that powers your computer. Turn both off; swap power cables.

Test.

RF123

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

j:
    Any progress?

RF123

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!