1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer having a series of startup/power problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by nox18, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nox18

nox18 Thread Starter

Please help!
    My Computer is having a series of startup/power problems.
    It started off that when I put the PC into standby when I wasn't using it, the blinking light, which signifies standby, would stay blinking even after I logged back onto Windows. I usually fixed that by turning everything off, unplugging, resting the transformer powerbar, and then plugging back in & turning it back on.
    Then, early New Years Day, I noticed the computer was off and I didnt remember turning it off, and the blinking standby light was not on.
    My settings were set so that it was several hours before my PC would shut itself completely off, and it hadnt been that long since I had used it.

I tried to turn it back on via power button, and I was able to log into my admin Windows user account, but the whole machine shut completely off right around the time when the desktop icons started loading.
    I unplugged everything, cleaned a bit of dust out of the inside of the tower, reset the power bar, waited awhile, plugged it back in and started again, same thing several times.
    I noticed that the back (smaller) fan was barely going and making no noise--It is usually somehwhat loud on this old computer.

At first I thought it was overheating, which it did about a year ago, but I didnt hear the little beeping that normally occurs when that happens.
    I unplugged, reset power bar and turned it on again, and before the login screen loaded, I hit F2 (I think) to go into BIOS settings. I set a Supervisor password for BIOS settings, and restored all other settings in the BIOS screens to default. This whole time, I am spinning the back fan manually with my finger whenever it seems to start slowing down or getting quiet.
    When I first logged back on to Windows, I went in my Admin acct. and disabled the network connection (I use Comcast broadband connected via ethernet btw) right away. The fan kept going normally on its own, and has since.

I ran Avast antivirus-found nothing-Then I defragged-I ran Hijack this and got the log below--I didnt fix anything in there yet, as I wasnt sure what was what. I also turned off the Hibernate function in the Power Settings.

For now, I am able to use the computer and go online, as you can see by my posting here.
    I am now using my 2nd Windows user, a Limited Account, and am avoiding going online with my Admin account.
    Obviously, I got it running again--but I'm not sure exactly what it was that I did which fixed it--or how long it will last!
    I use my PC for my small business and having it switch off w/o saving anything could be a serious problem for me.

My question is: HOW do I know what was/is wrong with it, and how do I keep it from just turning off like that again?

Preferably without spending much money, as I have next to none.
    THANKS!

My Hijack this! log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 4:06:33 AM, on 1/2/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CTDevSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\Creative Media Lite\CTZDetec.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: CNisExtBho Class - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] %WINDIR%\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Thowec] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\awanubesidacibi.dll",Startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTZDetec.exe] C:\Program Files\Creative\Creative Media Lite\CTZDetec.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [smss32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\smss32.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International
    O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/softwareupdate/su/ocx/15031/CTSUEng.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6C269571-C6D7-4818-BCA4-32A035E8C884} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://ccfiles.creative.com/Web/softwareupdate/su/ocx/15101/CTSUEng.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/mic...ls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1212080934421
    O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://ccfiles.creative.com/Web/softwareupdate/su/ocx/15111/CTPID.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    O23 - Service: CT Device Query service (CTDevice_Srv) - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CTDevSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe" -service -config "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\jqs.conf (file missing)
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Viewpoint Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

please clcik report and ask to move to spyware forum they are busy though you will be moved back here if needed

3. nox18

nox18 Thread Starter

UPDATE: It got turned off again and then I unplugged/restarted.
    I went into BIOS and reset non-supervisor user to have "no access", unplugged the Ethernet, logged back on my admin acct.
    Ran Malwarebytes--nothing was found.

I disabled and then went to re-enable my network connection, and it shut off again as soon as I clicked "enable" (while the ethernet cord was still unplugged)!

Turned off again and then I unplugged/restarted with ethernet unplugged,and it had not enabled from the last time--It allowed me to enable while the cord was not connected, but then shut off when I connected the ethernet cord.

Turned it back on, ethernet still plugged in and logged into my non-admin acct (what Im in now) and the network connection seemed to be enabled--and its working (for now).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice