1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer having trouble turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Profnekko, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Profnekko

Profnekko Thread Starter

Ok I've been having this issue for a little bit, asked a few friends and they can't make odds or ends of it, so I'd ask here.

For the past while, I've been having an issue of whenever my computer enters sleep mode or shuts down for a certain period of time, my computer becomes unable to turn on unless I unplug the system for a few minutes, if I use this method to kick back from sleep mode, windows will act like it was never unplugged and go back to what I was doing, I was told since there seems to be a relation between this and my clock desyncing that it was the CMOS battery, so I replaced it and the problem persisted. Does anyone know any reason this may be happening to my computer? I have assumptions that it is the power supply, but I do not wish to make an investment in one unless I know it's the actual problem.

2. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650

This does sound like a failing power supply. Your friends might have a spare you can try

4. Profnekko

Profnekko Thread Starter

ok I am running 6gb of DDR2 memory right now
    my video card is a Nividia GEFORCE GT 640
    the rest of it is stock in a Hewlett Packard System Model D5468AT-ABA ALONPAV
    the BIOS version is Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.28, 12/28/2008 (sweet jegus I better fix that)
    Processor is an AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core, 1800Mhz

That's what I can give you so far

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Power supply could certainly be the problem and as you appear to have upgraded a 'big brand' machine with a new GPU and additional RAM this probably increases the chance of a failing power supply.

The power supply that came with the machine was more than likely a relatively cheap unit that was only just fit for powering the system as it came out of the factory. You have increased the power needs of the machine a significant amount with a new GPU which has probably over stressed the original PSU and it is starting to fail. To be honest it is more than likely only a matter of time before it goes bang. If you upgrade a 'big brand' PC with anything like a new GPU you should always upgrade the PSU aswell.

That would be my first port of call, get a decent quality, higher wattage PSU in it and see if the problem persists.

Also, don't update the BIOS unless you have a problem that a specific BIOS version has been created to fix, there is no need. Any newer version will tell you what fixes or changes they introduce, if those fixes / changes aren't relevant then don't play with it.

6. dai

dai

7. Profnekko

Profnekko Thread Starter

I'd be updating the BIOS because my clock sync program is damaged, I go into cmd and do the whole w32tm /resync /rediscover stuff and when I do it it gives me a "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" thing, that started when the crashings happened

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If there isn't a specific BIOS update that addresses that exact problem then there is no point updating the BIOS as it will make absolutely no difference. The BIOS isn't like other software that should be kept up to date, you only update it to fix very specific problems if you are having the problem. Why risk killing the entire machine with a failed BIOS update that you probably don't need anyway :D

9. dai

dai

does the time stay correct in the tray

10. Profnekko

Profnekko Thread Starter

you're gonna have to elaborate on that, as the lingo escapes me, but the rhyme was nice

11. dai

dai

in the bottom right corner of the screen you see the time is it correct and is the computers date correct

12. Profnekko

Profnekko Thread Starter

oh well yes... It wasn't correct until I manually set the time, it had the time right, and the date right, but it was a year off (2012 instead of 2013) I was so busy trying to fix the clock sync that I didn't think to just change it myself

13. Tmagic650

Tmagic650

If the clock time and date won't stay correct after you have the computer unplugged for a time, the CMOS battery could be bad. A bios update will not help this

14. Profnekko

Profnekko Thread Starter

already replaced the CMOS

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice