1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer heats up and shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scubadude, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scubadude

Scubadude Thread Starter

I have an ACER 5315 Laptop computer. It is a Windows XP O/S. 120 GB HDD. 1GB DDR2. This computer also had Windows Vista running on it as well and I have had Vista removed. With living and working in China there seems to be a huge language barrier in solving computer problems. My computer will heat up and shut down. I can wait a short time and it will turn back on. They (Chinese computer techs) have told me it "could be" the fan module. (In broken English) I clean the dust out of it regularly and I also have a fan plate under it with three fans going and it still heats up and shuts down. My question is, can I set my computer's fan to run continuously? They have told me top fix it I have to mail my computer to Shanghai and they need it for 2 weeks. . I would prefer not to as I need it each week. Could this heating problem be the result of having Vista removed?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First move would be a more through cleaning, because if the fan starts at all, I doubt it's the fan itself or it's control.

If the Vista version had some custom fan control as part of the package, that could affect the cooling. With a fan in the vents, it's hard to believe that it's not staying cool enough to function, that's why I mention more cleaning.

3. Scubadude

Scubadude Thread Starter

Well I gave it the best cleaning that I could do and there was not really any dust around the entrance or exit to the fan. My computer is still shutting down.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice