Computer help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hate_compute

This could be a very hard one to figure out but if you have any ideas please jsut tell me. My computer starts up and everything but before it used to make a loud beep sound and then the moniter would kick in. Now it starts up and goes to the beep sound but doesnt beep. But the moniter wont like register with the hard drive. It keeps on flashing and saying that its not ocnnected propely. Ivve checked it and it is connexted properly. I have also tried plugging another monitor into the ocmputer but that didn`t work either. This hard drive is probably about 6-8 years old. As I said before any help would be great

???

Without more details we honestly couldn't do much for you. But working with what we have, i'd say the Hard drive is in good working order. a hard drive simply CANNOT interfere with the monitor (may be a driver issue, but unlikely). You say "it goes to the beep but doesn't beep", what do you mean? i assume that you mean it doesn't beep, therefore something is preventing the BIOS from checking youre computer and it isn't passing POST. If that is the case then something is SERIOUSLY wrong (i mean SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY). That beep is just the pc saying that "everything's OK with me" and "i'm gonna load the operating system" (i assume it's windows) if it doesn't pass that test, it will give a series of beeps (a beep code) allowing you to pinpoint the error with quite a high degree of accuracy.

If it isn't even passing POST then i think the motherboard has fried somehow. if that's happened then it's likely everything else (minus monitor, mouse keyboard etc.) is fried too, and that would explain the no signal from the PC.

have you tried another monitor? have you tried any of the parts in this PC in another PC and vice versa? that will help us narrow down the problem a bit more, and allow us to help you decide on what repairs (or replacements, but i hope not) to make. Also try the monitor on a different PC (if possible).

From what you tell me i think that this is a case of a dead motherboard that also spread and killed everything else (or at least a lot). What could cause this? A BIG electric surge (that would kill the also PSU, but that can't have happened as the monitor is still getting power. or does the Monitor get power from the mains directly on your PC?) a lightning strike on a phone line nearby coming down the line and killing your PC that way, old age (judging by the age of youre hard drive, i assume that the rest of the PC is that old too. and 6-8 years is VERY old), static buildup after someone messes around with the internals or even direct sabotage (VERY VERY VERY unlikely).

hope that helps.

dustyjay

Jay
A dead Hard drive or optical drive Can stop a computer from powering up properly. As can a dead optical drive. Try starting the computer with nothing but the Video card, CPU and Ram installed and see what you get. If it passes post then add one iutem at a time till you find the culprit. If it doesnt post, then it could be a bad powersupply or maybe the Mobo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online