1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer illiterate student old hard drive retrieve files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by studentengineer, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. studentengineer

studentengineer Thread Starter

Hello I have an old computer hard drive that I wanted to get some music and picture files from. The old computer was a Dell Dimension 8200 from way back in 2001 and lasted until 2009ish. It would only go to the infamous blue screen of death. I didn't get a professional to diagnose my computer but assumed that it was time for a new comp (standard modern hp desktops). I was able to take the hard drive out of the Dell Dimension but I was wondering if I can just connect it to my HP desktop with the universal 4 pins that are on every hard drives. The hard drive that is already in my HP has the 4 pin connector along with other female connectors (in parallel) with it. I'm assuming that i would be able to connect my old hard drive (Dell hard drive which is a IBM Deskstar) with one of the female connectors with the HP hard drive together? Will this work? Or do I need to do something else to retrieve files from the old hard drive?
    Also I see that there are more pins where you can take something out (sorry I dont know what is called) and change the pattern of it. It has labels stating master, slave, cable select, forcing dev 1 present. does anybody know which one I'm supposed to change it to? Right now it's put as cable select. i'll post pictures up soon.

[​IMG]
    The female connector labeled as "P5"

[​IMG]
    The old Dell Dimension hard drive

2. studentengineer

damn so i've been searching up a couple things and it's not as easy and plug and click. So I need to put the old hard drive as slave and the 4 pin connector is only the power supply (i believe)? and the other pins on the old hard drive have no female connectors on the actual HP desktop. So i don't think it'll work out? Anybody have any suggestions on how I can retrieve some old files? On top of all this my HP desktop is running on Vistas whereas my old Dell was running on XP. So this is another conflict with extracting my files. From my understanding (research), that they both need to be XP to just plug and click. Correct?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Get one of These universal HDD <> USB adapters then you can connect the HDD to a USB port and read it.

4. studentengineer

easy as that?..lol

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. I figured this would be easier than trying to put an IDE HDD in a SATA computer ..
    And probably safer than Messing around inside if you're not sure what you're doing.
    And one of the USB adapters is handy to have around when you might need one.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Or buy an enclosure and use the old drive for external storage and backup for when the internal one fails.

By the way, there are no "slave" drives with SATA, only IDE like your old drive which had 2 connectors on each cable.

7. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    That might be a good idea .. If it wasn't and old IDE HDD.
    I'd suggest to get a new SATA HDD and a SATA enclosure .. Then the new drive will also work in the new computer.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, unreliable backups are not much use. And then there's the size, too. A nice big SATA is a better idea.

9. studentengineer

alright perfect. So the device has already been shipped to me and i just received it not to long ago. I connected the power supply to the hard drive along with the drive mate with the USB to my HP desktop. First it installed the driver and when I went to my computer file nothing popped up. Then computer file screen went into "Not Responding" and stayed like that for a couple minutes. I thought it was a little unusual so i ended up closing it and restarting my comp. I did the same exact thing and it's been over 10-15 minutes and the Computer file screen is still in the "Not Responding". Is it normal for it to take this long? Exactly how do i look at the files in my hard drive?

10. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Power it up ... then connect the USB cable

11. studentengineer

that's exactly what I did then nothing happens. I go to computer folder to see if anything has popped up but it always go to "Not Responding". any suggestions?

12. studentengineer

alright so i know for sure that it's the old hard drive that's causing the "Not Responding". I took out the USB and the computer folder was back to normal as soon as I took it out.

13. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Does the HDD sound like it's spinning ??

14. studentengineer

yes definitely. alright so i just tried plugging it into my laptop and it's being responsive. another HDD showed up on the computer folder so i'm guessing that's it. It's just taking a while to load but is still responsive. This is completely normal, correct? since it's loading a good amount of data ( the HDD is 40gigs). BTW i definitely appreciate your help since the beginning of all this and recommending the adapter kit.
    Alright so it's been more than 20 minutes and i'm starting to think that it shouldn't take this long. Something is wrong. right? lol

15. Zygmo

Zygmo

This may sound stupid, but try plugging into a different USB port.

Also, and I am not sure about whether this makes a difference or not when using an adaptor to go from IDE to USB...but...check your jumper configurations on your IDE drive. Seems like most of the times when I have seen the "Not Responding" screen when dealing with added HDs, it was caused by the jumpers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice