1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Illiterate -- trying to download video/pics from miniCamcorder to PC

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by rbrady, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbrady

rbrady Thread Starter

Computer Illiterate -- trying to download video/pics from miniCamcorder to PC and PC has no firewire. I already have Windows DVD Maker installed on my computer (hp Presario desktop). It was Rec: from a store to buy the Dazzle DVD Recorder Plus Video capture Cable for 50.00
    However, this includes software that I don't THINK I need. Do I just need the correct cables? I am definately unable to hook up a firewire port to my computer, so looking for a way around that.
    Thanks for any help -- and remember, try not to make answers too technical -- it will lose me.
    Thank you!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Your best way would be to purchase a Fire Card that will plug into your Motherboard and will give you a Firewire port

3. rbrady

rbrady Thread Starter

I really don't think I would be able to plug anything into my motherboard...not skilled enough.

4. rbrady

rbrady Thread Starter

any ideas other than installing something on motherboard?

5. Megabite

Megabite

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I'll go with MegaBite about the Firewire being the preferred option because it sounds like the Dazzle is just an Analog-to-Digital converter. Since your camcorder more than likely records in digital you end up with two conversions. The camcorder converts Digital-to-Analog and sends the Analog to the audio/video jacks where the Dazzle connects. The Dazzle then converts Analog-to-Digital and sends that to the USB port on your PC. Can you see why you'll get worse quality results than if you just send the digital via Firewire? Firewire support is built into Windows so most cards don't even need drives-just turn your PC off, open the case, put the card into a vacant slot, close the case back up, then turn your PC back on & you're in business.

Although you're probably right about not needing the software that comes with Dazzle you might like it anyway-I know that I like Pinnacle although I haven't tried Windows DVD Maker so can't compare them.

BTW, I had an early camcorder with both Firewire & a mini-USB connector. You might check yours for that possibility. If it has that then you could get just use a USB cable with the appropriate connectors.

7. antimoth

antimoth

If that is Vista's Windows DVD Maker, after reading this review, I won't bother firing it up on my Vista PC. http://www.vistareview.info/2007/04/10/my-review-of-windows-dvd-maker-in-windows-vista/

I use Pinnacle Studio, a basic lite version is usually bundled with the Dazzles. I also got a lite copy with a firewire card a few years ago. It has its detractors, but I like it.

Problem with the Dazzle and other USB units like it is that sometimes the audio and video get out of sync, so after 20 minutes, the lips are 10-16 seconds ahead of the words. Aacck! Depends on your PC CPU, quality of the converter, etc.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice