1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer image/sound skipping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lanning, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanning

Lanning Thread Starter

Well, I am not sure if this is the proper place for this question... oh well.

For the past few years my computer has been sort of crashing, that is to say that the image and sound start to skip like a CD and will sometimes stop after like 1 second, other times 30 seconds and other times it will last for a few minutes, or until I decide to just restart to save time. I included a little look at the task manager's cpu usage graph, the spikes in cpu usage correspond to skips that I experienced, the final spike lasted for about 30 sec, the other were only a few seconds.

[​IMG]

It is really quite random and over the past 2 years I have been able to find no pattern revealing what causes it to skip, it just starts and stops seemingly at random, though it happens more often when I have many tabs open in google chrome....

I ran mem-test and it was error free, I also ran CCcleaner and it still is happening, I am sort of at a loss here, I have no idea why my computer is doing this. My PC specs are as follows:

- Windows 7 Professional
    - Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHZ
    - 2 gb Patriot Extreme Performance SDRAM DDR2 800
    - ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
    - GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    -300 GB WDD velociraptor
    -1 TB WDD Green Power
    -OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
    - HT | OMEGA Claro Halo Sound Card

Any insights or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

Two likely causes:

1) Either you have a bus-mastering issue (IRQ steering bandwidth bottleneck), or

2) Your hard drive has fallen back to PIO mode. Even a SATA drive is slower than
    molasses in January, when stuck in PIO.

The bus-mastering issue is a tough one, because you may have to install an alternate HAL
    to force Windows to to obey resource/IRQ assignment (Windos default HAL overrides the CMOS settings, so forget the BIOS setup screen).

The latter case involves editing the registry, and I'm not familiar enough with Windows 7
    to help you there, but it should be similar to 2000/XP, and there are a couple of values
    you have to delete, as they are 'flags', to prevent manual setting of your ATA drives,
    and these flags must be cleared in the registry.

Of course, here are other possible issues, too, such as drivers, extensions,
    application bugs, spyware, malware, filesystem fragmentation, etc... but I'll bet you a
    dollar against a dog biscuit it's one of the two above.

If so, then it's a Windows issue, and not a hardware issue. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice