1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer in 2 Different Languages, How to Correct

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HugsyBogues, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HugsyBogues

HugsyBogues Thread Starter

Let me provide a bit of background first. I got a laptop in 2009 (Dell, Windows Vista), and in 2010 I changed the language on it to Spanish to help me become more fluent in it. I don't believe I ever reverted the actual changes on the OS for the language settings, although several Internet sites (Google, email, YouTube, etc.) I put in Spanish and later changed back to English, although I am still having some that are in Spanish (YouTube occasionally has both languages displayed in different locations).

In 2012 I upgraded to a Lenovo Windows 7 laptop. I did not change any of the language settings on this computer. However, I did use an external hard drive to transfer over my previous documents (and perhaps my settings as well, I'm not exactly sure, I believe I used a version of Windows Backup and Restore (that comes bundled with the OS).

Now, certain parts of my computer are displayed in Spanish. The majority are in English, but occasionally I will have a dialogue box pop up with text in Spanish. This is not a problem for me, as I am able to understand it (most of the time), but it does become rather annoying at times. The main areas where this is currently displaying as Spanish in in the clock on screen, and certain dialogue boxes from third party applications (where the computer is interpreting that the text should be displayed in Spanish rather than in English).

I'm not a computer programmer so I don't know exactly what went wrong, but I suppose that somehow the way Windows is coded there is a reason why certain texts are still displaying in Spanish despite the default language being in English. I don't know if this is a big, new part of code that Microsoft will need to look at, but for me at least it would be nice to have one language or the other.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Goto Control Panel / Region and Language / Keyboards and Languages tab > in the Display Language section, click install/uninstall and uninstall Spanish if it's listed

Also, in the Administrative tab, ensure the Language for non-Unicode programs is English

3. HugsyBogues

HugsyBogues Thread Starter

Looks like I don't have a Display Language section under that tab. Language for non-Unicode programs is currently set as English.

Here are a few screenshots showing what I'm dealing with, two are from third-party programs and the last one is the desktop clock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Also check the "Formats" tab in the same section.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice