1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer & Internet Bogs and Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Single_Tasker, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Single_Tasker

Single_Tasker Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

My first post. Its a long one so I might answer in advance some questions you might ask me.

I have a Dell Dimension 2350.
    Capacity: 27.9 GB
    Space Used: 24.8 GB
    Free Space: 3.06 GB

I use Internet Explorer.

For several weeks now, While online- it gets bogged down, freezes- usually unfreezes in 30 seconds but then continues to be bogged down... pages / links take forever to load.

Sometimes IE is working fine for hours online- then I'll listen to a few songs online and when done the above condition happens when I return to surfing.

If I run an offline program- such as a graphics editor, then decide to open IE to go online it takes 2 minutes to open and is then bogged down.

Under TOOLS I frequently delete the browser history, and Clear the files from Start / Properties / Clear. Sometimes this will speed things up but not always.

I have McAfee virus scan. Run it at night- close it in the morning. For the past 2 weeks it is still scanning in the morning... it has reached 3 or 400,000 files but it hasn't done a completed scan in 2 weeks.

I tried to do a Disc Clean Up but it bogs at 'Compress Files'- still running after 8 hours but still only like 17% complete.

The Disc Defrag told me I had only 5% space on my hard drive and needed 15% to work.

So I uninstalled a ton of programs- graphics programs, music programs- ran the defrag again and now it says I have 10% free space- still too little.

With that all said I have 2 questions:

1) Generally speaking what will help this problem?

2) I seem to have 3 user names for Windows:
    All Users
    Default User
    Owner

I always log on as 'Owner'- its the only one offered at windows log on. All 3 seem to have tons of identical files, applications, etc. Can I just DELETE 'All Users' and 'Default User' to gain space on my hard drive?

Thanks for reading this far!

Bill

2. Single_Tasker

Hi Folks,

Just trying to get some eyes on my post after a couple of days of no replies.

Thanks!
    Bill

3. SpyKiller112

SpyKiller112 Guest

4. Single_Tasker

OK. I deleted TONS of photos- jpegs. Many had very large file sizes... 700, 550, etc. But erasing these- emptying the recycle bin and a restart still shows the same space numbers on my C drive- the only drive I have.

I will run Hijack this and post the log in the other forum as you suggested.

Thanks,
    Bill

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!