1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer is being mean to me!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by doescher4, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Whenever I turn on my computer it goes to found an error in system registry and restored files from previous entry....then it goes to a screen that says:
    Cannot find a device file that maybe needed to run windows or a windows application. the windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file but the file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or set up program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file try installing that application to replace the missing file.
    Then when it comes to my desktop my photo program is missing and i cant open my pictures...even though i download a new photo program daily, everytime my computer starts up its gone. Also says one of the library files needed to run mouseware cannot be found. please reinstall mouseware. Some of my other programs cant be found anymore either, such as alarm.exe. I redownloaded that program again also but its gone everyday when i start up computer. My recycle bin also won't empty. Theres just a lot of things that won't work anymore.

I noticed yesterday when starting up my computer that it went to a screen that said something like...windows\emm386.exe error on line 3 of configuration system or something like that. Can anyone help me fix these problems?

Thanks
    Lori

2. columbo

columbo

Hey,

When did you start receiving these error messages? Had you just installed a new program, or removed a program? Did you change any settings on your computer?
    Please post the contents of your start-up, as well as your config.sys file. It sounds like the problem lies within these files.
    Go to Start, then Run, then type in msconfig. Copy and paste the contents of Config.sys and the Startup tab, into your post.
    The programs that you mentioned before, are these ZoneAlarm and Webshots?

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Lori, have you scanned for viruses lately? Is your virus program up to date?

Have you 'uninstalled' any programs lately without going thru the uninstall utility or the add/remove programs?

4. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Columbo,

how do i copy the contents of my start up and conf. system onto here? I tried copying them by clicking on my right mouse button but wasnt given that option. Also, yes the program that i had downloaded was zone alarm. the other was irfanview.

Acacandy,

I ran a virus scan by using housecall but it came up with no viruses. I also dont recall uninstalling any programs.

thanks
    Lori

5. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

6. columbo

columbo

Hey,

Ok. Don't worry about startup for right now. Just go to Start, Run, then type in sysedit. Copy the contents of your autoexec.bat file and config.sys file, and paste them here in your next post.

Just curious, you didn't recently install any new memory did you? Upgrading your amount of RAM?

:confused:

7. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

rem - By Windows 98 Network - c:\windows\net start
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1
    LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DOSKEY

Columbo,

Here are my autoexec. bat and my config.syst files...and no i havent installed any memory into my computer. I hope this helps.

Lori

if exist c:\paprfix.bat call c:\paprfix.bat

@REM Next 3 Lines are Only Required for 1 Boot but are OK to leave permanently
    @REM Next Line added by Compaq Service Connection Install - Please do not Remove
    @REM Next 3 Lines are Only Required for 1 Boot but are OK to leave permanently
    IF EXIST C:\PIPOST.BAT CALL \PIPOST.BAT
    IF EXIST C:\PIPOST.BAT DEL \PIPOST.BAT
    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\Scanwiz

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    DOS=HIGH,AUTO,UMB
    rem - By Windows Setup - DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CPQIDECD.SYS /D:IDECD001
    FILESHIGH=50
    BUFFERSHIGH=30

8. columbo

columbo

Hey,

Try going to Start, then Run, then type in msconfig. Click on "Selective Startup", and take the checkmark off Config.Sys.
    Then click OK, then restart your system. See if it starts up properly. It looks like your errors are definitely related to the contents of that file. If that doesn't work, then go back into msconfig, and take the checkmark off Autoexec.bat as well.

Post back with your results.

Good Luck ;)

9. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Hey Columbo,

I did what you suggested and still no change, except that when its going through start up and stops at the screen that says cannot find a device file needed to run windows or a windows application, there is another file that cannot be found. After each of these messages it give a file..on the first one it says

C:\windows\system\VSHINIT.VXD the next one says

VSdata95.VXD

Do those mean anything to you?

thanks for your help

Lori

10. MichL81

MichL81

Copy the system.ini file from another computer and save it on yours for starters.

Also, I'd double check and scan for viruses, the behavior of your computer is quite suspicious....

11. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Why do i need to copy the system.ini file and save it to mine? Are all sytem.ini files the same on all computers?

Also, I run the housecall free virus scan daily and it never shows that I have a virus, but I wonder if it is scanning all my files. I check all the boxes but it only scans about 7000 files and it seems to me that It used to scan ALOT more than that and it used to take about an hour to complete the scan. Now it takes about 10 minutes.

Lori

12. beach51

beach51

Hi Lori,theses files are components of McAfee safe and sound.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q280135

Might also be a good idea to post your startup programs.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32,click ok.Click on + sign next to software enviroment>click on startup programs>click edit,select all ,edit.copy and paste the page back here.

13. columbo

columbo

Hey,

I believe that you can extract the vshinit.vxd from your Windows CD, so just stick it in your drive, and run SFC, then type in the name of the file. I don't know about extracting vsdata95.
    The vshinit.vxd file is used by McAfee, so you'll have to re-install, then uninstall that program. the Vsdata95.vxd file is used by ZoneAlarm (I think) so you'll have to find a way to re-install that, then uninstall it as well.
    I believe that both of these programs have an uninstall feature built into them, so after you've re-installed them, use those uninstall options, (don't go through Add/Remove Programs).
    If you don't have access to these programs, or if this doesn't help you, then I've heard people recommend just running regedit (go to Start, then Run, then type in regedit), and doing a "find file" for vshinit.vxd and vsdata95.vxd. Then deleting every instance that the computer finds.
    I'd use this with extreme caution, and only as a last resort (before completely formatting and re-installing Windows). If you do this, make sure you've got a good backup of your registry. You don't want to accidentally delete anything important from the registry. I don't think you should do this, but its an option.

Post back with results, and good luck

:)

14. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Hi Beach,

About the McAfee software...i did do an uninstall of this program because it was expired....could this have caused the problem?

Here are my start up programs:

Event Minder Reminders Startup Group <corrupted>
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\MOUSEWARE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    AtiCwd32 Registry (Machine Run) Aticwd32.exe
    AtiKey Registry (Machine Run) Atitask.exe
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    webebot Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\system\webebot.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Aureal A3D Interactive Audio Registry (Machine Service) sa3dsrv.exe
    TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    MiniLog Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service

I also noticed that when accesing my control panel, I first get this error message: An error occured while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\Windows\system\Main.CPL...any ideas as to what this means?

thanx for your help,
    Lori

PS- would you have any idea why my recycle bin won't empty....it has old contents in it and whenever i delete something now it doesnt even show up as being in the recycle bin.

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Copying a system.ini from another computer is NOT a good idea. The system.ini contains hardware and driver information that has been installed on the computer and would create havoc and many error messages if copied from one computer to another........

The virus scan is ALWAYS a good idea.

Also, Lori, have you tried visiting the McAfee website, un-installing McAfee sometimes requires jumping thru many hoops.....they have detailed instructions on how to manually remove the leftovers that just won't seem to go away.......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice