Computer is freezing during games (hardware issue)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crjdriver

The proprietary nvme driver not installed probably is not causing your issue. It would not hurt to install the driver. Do you have samsung magician installed? This will tell you if there is a firmware update for your drive.
As for xmp, you would just leave it enabled.
It is debatable if running xmp is overclocking. The ram is rated @3200 however the native speed supported by the memory controller is 2666. Just my opinion however I do not see it as overclocking the ram. IF you ran it at 3400, then yes you are running above rated speed.

ktn

The proprietary nvme driver not installed probably is not causing your issue. It would not hurt to install the driver. Do you have samsung magician installed? This will tell you if there is a firmware update for your drive.
As for xmp, you would just leave it enabled.
It is debatable if running xmp is overclocking. The ram is rated @3200 however the native speed supported by the memory controller is 2666. Just my opinion however I do not see it as overclocking the ram. IF you ran it at 3400, then yes you are running above rated speed.
Okay, thank you!
So as I understand the: "2133 Mhz" is too low speed value for my system, as I have a higher end CPU i9 9900k, which requires minimum of "2666 Mhz" of speed. And that is why the games are probably crashing/freezing?!

crjdriver

No, that is not really correct. Your motherboard should detect the ram speed and apply the 2666 speed [which is the max native speed] Sometimes this does not occur correctly and you can either set speed, voltage, and timings manually [which is what I do] OR you can enable xmp [which should set the above referenced parameters for you]

crjdriver

In any case, after setting ram speed and voltage in the bios, run memtest for at least 1hr to see if you get any errors. I think I saw in the beginning of the thread where you updated the bios. There were a LOT of bios updates that addressed ram stability. If you are not running the latest bios, I would update to the latest one.

If you do decide to update the bios, be sure and read [and fully understand] the procedure.

ktn

In any case, after setting ram speed and voltage in the bios, run memtest for at least 1hr to see if you get any errors. I think I saw in the beginning of the thread where you updated the bios. There were a LOT of bios updates that addressed ram stability. If you are not running the latest bios, I would update to the latest one.

If you do decide to update the bios, be sure and read [and fully understand] the procedure.
Bios is up to date. Unfortunately Enabling XMP didn't solve the freezing problem. It still freezes after 25-40 minutes on playing.

crjdriver

I can only think of one more test before you have to start swapping parts. Download memtest86 and follow these instructions; make the bootable flash drive, and run it, in CPU Selection, choose Round Robin. Any failure on more than one core is bad ram or motherboard slot. Failures on only one core is bad CPU.

I can give you one bit of advice.

I ended up getting a new laptop as my Aspire was stone-cold dying when I was on Second Life (yeah, SL players still exist). That fixed that problem (accessing SL), but I was still having the issue as the lappie was still just not operating. I would check and I was getting the 100% Disk Error message when not running any applications. Frustrating.

The issue wasn't with the applications like games, malware or too much rubbish saved. It was because at the same time as the errors, I was checking online to see what could be causing the problem. The checking was the problem. It was Google Chrome doing the damage.

For real, Chrome was taking up so many resources just being deployed that it ended up slowing down and crashing the laptop. I am not sure why this happens, but it is a recognised issue (search: google chrome 100% disk usage error).

As I had downgraded the Aspire to my 2nd machine all it took was removing Chrome and using another browser to sort out the problem.

ktn

I can only think of one more test before you have to start swapping parts. Download memtest86 and follow these instructions; make the bootable flash drive, and run it, in CPU Selection, choose Round Robin. Any failure on more than one core is bad ram or motherboard slot. Failures on only one core is bad CPU.
I will try it tomorrow. I have an update!
I updated GPU to the latest driver, tested it, still froze. Then I took my old GTX 1080 and replaced it with my current RTX 2080Ti. Even left the same NVIDIA driver. And it didn't freeze anymore. I got to play at least 2 hours straight. It was late night, so i had to shut it down and go to sleep.

So either the 2080Ti GPU has a flaw? Or PSU/mobo is not giving it enough power to operate correctly?
Because when I removed all the ram sticks (only left the first one in the memory socket) I was able to play 2-3 hours with my 2080Ti.

What are your thoughts?

crjdriver

Both are possible since the 2080ti uses more pw and requires a minimum of 650W. The 1080 requires a minimum of 500W.
I would put my money on the card causing the problem since you have already tested voltages under a load. That does not mean that it is impossible for the pw supply to cause the problem; it just means the video card is more likely.
Corsair RM pw supplies are pretty high end AND the 12V was holding steady during a stress test so I would go with the card.

ktn

Both are possible since the 2080ti uses more pw and requires a minimum of 650W. The 1080 requires a minimum of 500W.
I would put my money on the card causing the problem since you have already tested voltages under a load. That does not mean that it is impossible for the pw supply to cause the problem; it just means the video card is more likely.
Corsair RM pw supplies are pretty high end AND the 12V was holding steady during a stress test so I would go with the card.
Oh hell...

Okay, unfortunately my luck was cut short. I have to eat my words!

Computer also freezes with my old GPU. To be sure I tested it twice. Both times I get to play exhactly about 2H before it freezes.

So I guess PSU, MOBO, CPU still remain the suspects..

I have the exact Corsair PSU in my other computer. I guess I have to swap the PSU-s and see if anything changes...

crjdriver

If the other pw supply still gives you problems, run the memtest in the link. It is not a definitive test however it will point you at where the problem lies; ram, motherboard, or processor.

ktn

If the other pw supply still gives you problems, run the memtest in the link. It is not a definitive test however it will point you at where the problem lies; ram, motherboard, or processor.
Okay I have some news. The "Round Robin" test came back negative. I changed the PSU, problem remained. I took the CPU out and there was a "discoloration", I cleaned it off with alcohol. I also re-applied the thermal paste ( I haven't done it since the day I built the computer).

So either because of the "discoloration" removal or because of the paste re-appliance it didn't freeze anymore after 30 minutes of gaming. Today I played longer, and it froze after 3-4 hours of use.
I know that the i9 9900k runs pretty hot. But I have the best "Air fan" solution recommended for this chip: Noctua NH-D15 (with two fans). Also I don't never OC.

So is this a CPU flaw or do I have to ramp up the fans speed?!

Or is it Mobo? Remember I got to play with my old GTX 1080 about two hours. With my new RTX 2080Ti I got to play about 2 hours, when only one memory stick was inserted. When all memory sticks were inserted I got to play 30 minutes, after re-appliance and "discoloration" removal I can play 3-4 hours. I will test it out tomorrow for the second time, but this far it seems to be that way.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Well if it is working fine now, I would say you have fixed the problem. Was this discoloration on the processors pads or in the socket ie pins?

ktn

Well if it is working fine now, I would say you have fixed the problem. Was this discoloration on the processors pads or in the socket ie pins?
It was on the processors pads.
But the fact that it is still freezing after 3-4 hours. What should I conclude from this experience?
That the CPU is overheating, and I need to ramp up the fan speeds? CPU or MOBO has a flaw?

crjdriver

I misunderstood; I thought it was working OK now. If the round robin test was OK, then the processor is most likely fine. CPUs are actually pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock/overvolt them OR damage it during installation.
At this point, you are going to have to start swapping parts such as motherboard, etc. Just my opinion however I am not a fan of msi boards. I much prefer asus, asrock, or gigabyte boards.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online