1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer is getting progressively worse...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IntelligibleTech, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IntelligibleTech

IntelligibleTech Thread Starter

It started off with opening any sort of media application, like a video or a game, and after having it go for 2-3 minutes, the screen would hard-lock, a various assortment and array of colored pixels would sprawl across the screen, jumbling it and making it completely unreadable, and, if any sound was occuring at the time of the freeze, it would loop continuously in a most annoying fashion. I shut down the computer and restarted.

It then progressed into a much worse state where, upon start-up, the black screen (the computer is a Dell XPS 730, by the way. Graphics card being a Nvidia 9800 GT, with Intel Quad Core Q6600 processors, at 2.4GHz. The PC is two years old) with the big blue 'DELL' logo, would have flickering pixels scattered across the screen, being much more prominent than before, making the screen THAT MUCH more unreadable. There were also various colored 'smiley-face' icons at various spots across the screen (these appeared most-prominently when I attempted to open my BIOS menu to find some means of fixing this. The screen was riddled with them). I wondered if this was a hardware malfunction at this point, or some sort of virus. I wasn't sure why hardware malfunctioning would cause a large portion of the screwed-up pixelated garbage to be taunting smiley-face emotes. The pixelation of the screen was so bad, I could not even SEE the Microsoft-icon button to press and enter my password for login (OS is Windows Vista 32-bit). I had to shut-down again, and I decided to leave it until the day after to try again.

Upon restarting the computer the day after, I found that, while the computer WOULD turn on, have all the sights-and-sounds, the fans whirring and what-not, the monitor itself would not detect the PC being on, an would stay in its passive "power-save' mode, and not display the start-up screen and process. I thought it might have been a faulty monitor, but upon re-attaching my PC to two other monitors which were working perfectly fine with other PC's around the household, found the same, pixelated garbage. Which means it's likely some hardware in my PC.

The possibilites I've researched, but have not confirmed, have been that either the GPU is overheating or dieing, or that the motherboard pci-express slot is dieing. There is no visible damage of any sort on either part of my PC, and I have done a thorough cleaning on my PC, fans and what-not to rule out any sort of dust build-up. I have no clue what exactly is wrong, and am concerned my PC is doomed. It seems like a hardware issue, but the weird smiley-face pixelation has seriously got me to believing that it COULD be a virus that is messing with some of my hardware.

Does anyone know what could be the problem, and, if so, how to remedy it? Thanks for you're help in advance.

P.S.: The LED troubleshooting thing inside of the tower has the code "4C" toggled onto it, which I had been led to believe means "Clear extended memory locations" or 'clear memory above 1MB", or something like that. Also, please note that I CANNOT at ALL get my PC to operate. It will 'turn on', but only in a power-sense, and does not actually fully function.

2. AngelOfPassion

AngelOfPassion

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? Or maybe some virus has corrupted them...

But it definitely seems like a GPU issue... Maybe try a new cord to connect your monitor to the GPU?

3. IntelligibleTech

Keep in mind Angel, that ALL the monitors are unable to, at this point, react to the PC being turned on. Like, the monitors themselves ARE on, but they won't do the whole thing where the start-up black screen comes on, and the computer loads itself up. There is no display. The monitor isn't able to make the connection with the GPU.

4. IntelligibleTech

I have also tried three seperate cords for connection to the monitor.... they all make no difference. There's two slots for the monitor to connect to at the back of the GPU. I have tried three cords in each slot for six possible combinations; NONE of which have yielded anything.

5. AngelOfPassion

AngelOfPassion

do you have any way to read the temp of the GPU? because if the GPU has been running at high temps over time it could have been damaged... prior to your cleaning when was the last time you cleaned out your PC?

My GPU was running at about 117C at a full load when my computer got a little dusty but after i cleaned it, it was running at about 82C. maybe you fried it?

6. AngelOfPassion

AngelOfPassion

do you have any other GPU's laying around that you could swap out for a test... maybe from one of the other pc's?

7. IntelligibleTech

Sadly no... all the other computers are over 6-years old, and have no visible GPU's with which I could disassemble and place it onto my XPS. Another thing I've noticed, is, and this was normal to me upon start-up, is, when you loaded up your PC, the whirring noise-emitted by the GPU fan would be very loud, and would calm down once the screen came on and started-up. Now, the GPU whirs continuously at that very fast, very loud pace, and doesn't calm down. I don't want to do any prolonged-tests on it, as I feel that the extremely fast fan speed coming from the GPU can't be a good thing, and I don't want to damage the GPU (if it already isn't).

8. AngelOfPassion

AngelOfPassion

Mine did that when the power cable from the Power supply was damaged and it wasn't getting enough power to fully turn on... maybe check your cables.... or take it to your local geek squad and have them test your power supply outputs...

9. IntelligibleTech

Still searching for a solution to my issue....

10. IntelligibleTech

Still searching for an solution...

11. vicks

vicks

If you don't receive any help within about 24 hours, type BUMP and your posting will be moved up in the que.
    Vicks

12. IntelligibleTech

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice