1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer is Hard Locking Constantly! Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tumpster, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tumpster

Tumpster Thread Starter

I'm going insane here!!!I've been noticing some probs latley with my machine. I was playing Q3 the other day and it froze up on me doing the annoying freeze of the frame and the sound just make'n that annoying buzzing noise when it hangs on whatever note it's on. So I rebooted cause I had no other choice and so I started play Enemy Territory, same thing, but when I play counter-strike I have no problems! Maybe it's the different graphics of em all? I played Doom 3 yesterday though and had no problems. I have the latest drivers from ATI but i'm going to try a reload to see if that fixes it. I'll give u my specs so u know what i'm working with:

AMD XP 2100+ (1.7GHZ)
    BIOSTAR "M7NCD PRO"
    512MB 2100 RAM
    200 GB in hard drives
    ATI Radeon 9600 SE
    Sound Plaster Live 5.1 Card
    Windows XP Pro/SP2

It's always a hard lock, and I have AntiVirus,Trillian,Popup Blocker, and Printer tray, running in the back ground. It does it randomly from time to time. My machine is a custom built machine, and when it locks up, it locks up!Uhh...let me know if u guys need any other info! Oh by the way, I run spybot every other day just about and it sweeps through seeing no problems latley or kills whats on there!
    Here's voltage and temp specs
    CPU Temp
    CPU : 149 F- 152 F

Voltage
    CPU Vcore= 1.72-1.76
    AGP Vcore= 1.48-1.50
    3.3V = 3.29-3.36
    +12V = 12.40-12.46
    -12V = -12.93 - -13.10
    -5V = 5.25

All numbers in volts of course! :p
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

Make sure you have the latest version of Directx. To see what version you currently have, go to the Command Line (Start > Run in Windows XP) and type: dxdiag

Your CPU temperature is a little high (149 F = 65 C and 152 F = 66.67 C). I think heat may be the cause for the hard lock ups.

Open the case and put a house fan on it, run the computer and see if that reduces the amount of lock ups.

While it's open, check to see all fans are moving: power supply fan, case fan(s), CPU fan and video card fan.

Edit: Also remove any dust bunnies in the case, if there are any by using canned air. Make sure you keep the spray upright -- if you tilt the can, a white-ish chemical comes out and you don't want that stuff on the sensitive parts of the computer.

3. Tumpster

Tumpster Thread Starter

Ok, thank you very much, I will update when I see if I get any results or not!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!

4. shadowcat

shadowcat

I forgot to add: Disable the antivirus program when running your games. Antivirus programs have been notorious for causing games to crash.

If you play online, I'm not sure that turning off the antivirus is a good idea. However, I don't play online games so I will defer to others on this matter.

5. Tumpster

Tumpster Thread Starter

Well I think for now I'm gonna place a normal house fan right near the case to blow cold air at the beast with the cover off of course! I plan on buying this heatsink http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-046&depa=0 Maxmium PC used it in their new dream pc so I figured I would give it a try. I was also told that using the artic stuff would cause the AMD's warranty to be voided?? Hmm...but thanks for the help! Keep any help coming!!

Stupid question too....I'm looking at my fans and do I want them sucking the air out and blowing into the open air or sucking it from the surrounding of the case and blowing it into the case?? Weird I know it's just been so long since I've messed with the fans! I'm having a brain fart!!!!
    Should I select to disable norton auto protect till I get done with the game or should I close it entirely? Thanks again!!!

6. shadowcat

shadowcat

The case fans should be blowing out of the case.

Norton AV: you can right-click on the icon on the bottom right of the screen and there should be a selection that says "Disable". That should do it. Just remember to "enable" it once you are done playing your game.

I use Artic Silver 5 for my computer -- make sure you read Arctic Silver's online installation instruction carefully before installing your new heatsink and fan. You will have to carefully clean the processor before putting on the Arctic Silver.

The only caveat about the heat sink/fan set is to make sure that it's not too big for your motherboard.

Finally, voiding the processor warranty... my understanding of AMD's warranty is this: you have to use the AMD "approved" thermal interface (see "Suggested Thermal Interface Materials") and heatsink (you have to specify if you have the Model 6 or 8 2100 processor -- leave the vendor blank). ShinEtsu is now Arctic Silver. That does not mean that Arctic Silver is approved since AMD has not altered the list to say this. So, if you use anything outside of the list, it voids the warranty.

7. shadowcat

shadowcat

8. Tumpster

Tumpster Thread Starter

Well I'm being lead to believe it was the AMD overheating!!! I place a cyndrical standing fan about 6 inches from it and played Enemy Territory for like almost 2 hours with no lock ups at all!! Thats never been that long so I'm going to conclude it IS the overheating causing the lock ups, cause I know it happened sporatically, and randomly, and after a lock up it would lock up again not soon after if i played games, seeing as it's cooling down right after a heat up, it is heating up again. So the fan is helping, now the other help i need is to decide what new heatsink to throw into my rig to cool it down. I only have the one that came with it so I'm up for some ideas. If you can imagine this, I ran a temp test and it took about 30 degrees off of the processor while the fan's blowing on it! If that didn't tell me the heat was killing my pc I dunno what else would!!! Please leave some suggestions and let me know of any ideas to add more fans. I have a pretty basic case!! :p

anyone know of any good programs that check your comp temp 24/7 and things like that? Also maybe a voltage/temp check all in one for your cpu, mobo, and graphics card?? Thanks!

9. shadowcat

shadowcat

You could use a software temperature monitor (free): Motherboard Monitor but you can't see it during games.

If you have two PCI slots open, take a look at VANTEC Spectrum Fan Card for cases (Model SP-FC70-BL).

FYI: when arranging the fans in the case, keep in mind that heat rises. Personally, I try to place fans as high as I'm allowed to (depending on the case design) to remove hot air from the case.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice