1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer is inconsistent recognizing PS/2 keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreggIllinois, Nov 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

I bought a refurbished HP SFF with Windows 10 Pro on it. It came with a very flimsy USB keyboard. I have a big beautiful PS/2 keyboard that I love. The problem is the computer only recognizes the PS/2 keyboard only about 70% of the time. I'm trying to figure out why. I know the PS/2 works perfectly. It's connected properly. I updated the driver in the Device Manager. It said it had the (attachment) right driver already. I have removed the USB keyboard and only left the PS/2 connected. Some sort of thing--it works about 70% of the time. I was tempted to uninstall the USB HID keyboard from the Device Manager but then I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back if the PS/2 doesn't work at all or continues at the 70% rate. There are these suggestions about tweaking the registry via (screenshot from https://superuser.com/questions/996001/do-ps2-keyboards-work-on-windows-10 ) but I was scared of that, too.

I can buy a new, bigger, USB keyboard if need be (but I'll be buying it online and that in itself will be a bit of a crapshoot) but I really like this old PS/2 I've got.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Only a wild guess and even then, you should wait for other opinions.

If you really love that PS/2 keyboard, get a usb adapter and see if changing the connection at the computer corrects the problem.

examples:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=PS/2+Keyboard/Mouse+to+USB+Converter+Adapter&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

I've used them in the past where there were no PS/2 ports on a computer and had to go with adapters.
    Worked for me, but I wasn't having issues with old PS/2 keyboards. just no PS/2 ports on the computer.

GreggIllinois likes this.
  3. GreggIllinois

Thanks a lot, Johnny. I'll do that for sure if there's no easy answer.

4. GreggIllinois

Got your adapter. It works great. Thanks.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    You're welcome :)

Good to hear it worked (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice