Computer is not communicating with the router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kuni

Hi, I have a problem getting my computer online with my wireless connection.

The computer with the main router is able to go online just fine. I have a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router, model befw11s4.

The computer that can't go online has the Linksys Wireless-B USB network adapter, model wusb11.

Both computers are Dells with Windows XP home ed.

I have tried pinging the IP addresses via command prompt and discovered that the computer which can go online and has the router has some problem communicating with its router. When I typed "ping 192.168.1.1" in the command prompt, it printed "request timed out" 4 times to the screen.

I've checked my TCP/IP settings, and they are set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server address automatically" on both computers.

I'm not quite sure why this problem occured all of a sudden. The network was working fine until a couple days ago. The computer which cannot go online had been turned off for a couple weeks, and once I turned it on again, no internet connection. I've tried a system restore on it but to no avail.

I've researched many troubleshooting sites and pdf files, but still haven't found a solution to this problem. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you!

Try rebooting everything shut down modem,router,computer turn on modem then router then computer.

Kuni

Hmm, it didn't seem to work.

I've heard of someone else fixing a similar problem by updating their router's firmware.

I tried going to Linksys's site and downloading the firmware. Their site suggested that I might need winzip to unzip it, but all I got when I downloaded the firmware was a .bin file, which I'm not quite sure what to do with. (I've tried opening it with winzip, and even tried adding a .zip to the end of the file and then tried winzip, but to no avail.)

I'm not quite sure how a firmware update will fix my problem, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything.

Start - run-cmd ipconfig /all copy post results here from the computer that wont connect.

Kuni

Alright, this is from the computer that cannot go online:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter v2.8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.100.112
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The firmware (.bin) file is not a winzip file. It is actually the file that updates the firmware on the router. These types of file are usually installed/executed from DOS. I have had Linksys product before and they usaully have an update that can be ran automatically from Windows.

The 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address that the wireless computer in receiving tell me that the adapter/computer is not communicating with the router. Have you tried right-clicking the connection and repairing it. Or try ipconfig /release, and then ipconfig /renew from the command prompt?

Kuni

Yes, I have tried right-clicking and repair. I've also just tried the ipconfig /release, and then ipconfig /renew. For the wireless adapter, it said: Error unable to contact to the DHCP server, request timed out.

Where exactly is the Linksys firmware installer?

I went to their website to have a look. There are many versions of the model you posted above. Which one do you have?

Also, do you have the lasted version of software for the USB adapter that you are using?

Are you able to access the routers set-up page from the other computer? Do you have security options in place?

Kuni

Oh yeah, its version 4 for the router, and ver 2.8 for the adapter.

And as for the latest version of the USB adapter software, I'm not sure, it's not really my computer, and the guy who owns it is not here to tell me if he's been updating or not, I'm guessing it probably has not been updated for about half a year or more.

Yes, I am able to access the routers set-up page from the online computer, and I do have Norton antivirus and a windows firewall in place.

OK...now I remember. To upgrade the firmware, you have to be logged into the routers setup page...think it's 192.168.1.1 as you stated. But for whatever reason you stated that you have not been able to access the setup page. If your desktop is connected to the internet, then you should be able to access this.

Anyway, like I was saying...upgrade firmware option is located in the routers setup page and you direct it to the .bin file that you d/loaded.

Is your desktop wired to the router, which is wired to the modem?

Kuni

Yes, my desktop is wired to the router, which is wired to the modem.

And I can get to the routers setup page, on the computer that can go online.

But I cannot get to that page on the other computer which can't go online.

I was also planning on downloading/installing updates for the adapter, but the computer with the adaptor is the one that cannot go online. Oh well.

Do you think I'd be wasting my time by updating the firmware for just the router?

Ah, wait a minute, I see what's going on, I typed in the wrong IP address! I just tried pinging the correct IP address, and all's well on the online computer, meaning it is communicating with it's router, but now all I need to figure out is why the offline computer is not connecting.

>>Do you think I'd be wasting my time by updating the firmware for just the router?<<

No I don't. But do it from the wired computer and not the laptop, even if you can access the setup page. Less chance of failure.

I don't have any idea why the laptop was working and now not unless someone made somp configuration changes somewhere.

If all looks correct on the setup page, DHCP, wireless, etc. I would remove the adapter from the laptop, unistall and reinstall the software and see if that corrects the problem.

Kuni

Umm, actually they're both desktops, but yeah, that is strange that all of a sudden it just stopped connecting. Like I said, it has been off for a while, so there's no way settings could have been changed. And I know for certain that no one has fiddled with the settings in over a year. Unless ... I guess a virus could.

Sorry about the reference about a Laptop???? Nor sure where I picked that up...probably reading another post.

If all looks well on the Linksys setup page...it might be worth it to try installing the adapter and software again?

I'm going to call it night....I'll check in the morning to see if you made any progress with it.

Kuni

I've been trying some things on the offline computer.

First, I've disabled DHCP and typed in an IP address instead. This one almost matches the IP address of the online computer, but I changed the last number so that its different from the online computer's IP address or the one for the router's setup page. I also changed the offline computer's subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server addresses to match the online computer's corresponding ones. Then I restarted the whole machine. The final result ..... fruitless; still can't open a webpage on any site or ping to the other computer. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

I've returned all the settings back to what they were originally and re-enabled the DHCP.

The funny thing is, all the while, the icon on the taskbar says its connected with an excellent signal strength. But I've tried opening a webpage and pinging yahoo through the command prompt, and nothing gets through. Or at least nothing gets returned back to the offline computer. I checked the Wireless Connection Support status and under activity it says it has sent several packets, but recieved 0.

When I first start the computer up, it does say that the wireless connection is unavailable. But when I open up the Wireless Network Connection Properties and click the Refresh button under Wireless Networks, it says its connected once again. But it lies. It still won't open a webpage or ping to the internet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online