1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer is not turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frizern, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frizern

frizern Thread Starter

Recently my computer has been reluctant(!) to be active. When i connect my power cable to the outlet,the green light on my monitor beeps.But when I press the power button of the CPU then nothing happens i.e. the fans doesnt rotate or no images are viewed on the monitor.It looks like the motherboard isnt getting any power at all,but I believe my PSU is fine(the beeping of monitor lights as I said before) ,it looks to me that only the monitor is getting power,but motherboard doesnt. What should I do in this concern??

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok, we need a bit more info.

Are you using a normal desktop computer or an AIO (AllInOne)?

3. frizern

frizern Thread Starter

a normal one.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact system specs ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, exact video card, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#
    If this is a normal desktop, the monitor has nothing to do with the pw supply. The monitor plugs into the wall outlet and not the computer pw supply.

My first guess would be a failed pw supply however do the following to troubleshoot;

1 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hard disk and optical
    2 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors ie pull them OFF and reinsert. While you have them OFF, inspect both connectors for any burned marks, arcing, etc
    3 Pull out any add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, etc. Reseat your video card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot. If you do not have any other add-in cards, that is fine
    4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, external drive, etc. Leave your keyboard connected however be sure it is connected to a rear port on the motherboard and not a front port or hub
    5 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace jumper to the normal or keep position
    6 Now pw ON and see if you get a display ie splash screen or POST data. If you do, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If you do not get a display, you need to swap parts with known good units ie motherboard, cpu, ram, pw supply, etc.

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I agree with the failed power supply as well, hence why I asked if it was AIO or desktop? I would follow CRJs advice and see what happens, buy it is my guess your power supply has failed and will need to be replaced.

6. frizern

frizern Thread Starter

I have given some specs as you wanted.
    PSU-CHAVEL ATX-400
    motherboard-Gigabyte-S2
    video card-MSI

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    That is most likely a cheapo/junk unit. And it has likely failed. I would acquire a replacement model of sufficient wattage and replace it.

Don't just buy the cheapest power supply either. Unless you want to keep having these kinds of issues, you need to buy a QUALITY power supply. Corsair RMx model are good, along with FSP and PC Power and Cooling

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

MSI makes a LOT of video cards. You need to know exactly what card is installed in order to purchase a pw supply that will actually work. Open the case and look; the model of card should be silkscreened on the card PCB.

metallica5456 likes this.
  9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    CRJ, I wanted your opinion on that power supply, just to be safe? Was I correct? A low end "junk" unit?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I cannot find any info on that pw supply so it most likely is a very low quality unit.
    In fact when you search for what he posted, it comes back as a guitar.....

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I get nada on chavel. There is an Au Cheval restaurant.
    I get charvel brand guitars.

12. frizern

frizern Thread Starter

just a few moments ago I connected my PW supply to the motherboard and then plugged an USB cable at the back of my CPU and connected it to a mobile, the mobile was charging which means PW supply is not the crack. but still nothing happens when I press the switch of CPU. what do you say?

13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    It could be several issues with your computer:
    1. PSU
    2. Battery in motherboard
    3. RAM
    4. Try using another video card
    5. Dead motherboard

I would just recommend buying a refurbished computer instead of buying the parts, which may come up to the same price as a refurbished one.

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    You may also just have a bad power switch. If you take off the switch you can jump the 2 leads with a screwdriver and see if it turns on the computer you know that the switch is bad.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That means nothing. A pw supply has three rails; 12V, 5V, and 3.3V; one may have failed and the other two work. Plug in a test pw supply to see if that is the cause. This is the very first step in troubleshooting.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice