computer is not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

askari2000th

Dear Sir
I am facing a problem with my computer, and I do not know how to solve it. When I run the computer it reach to the logo of windows then switch off automatically. I used startup disk to run NDD and to fix the problems, but still power off after starting immediately.
I checked the registry and surface test but every thing look okay. I thought to re download the windows ME but the setup reach to 100% of the first step and hung up.
So please try to help me fixing this problem.

Hi,

When did this first start happening? Was your computer OK before, or has it done this ever since you first installed Windows? Also, please let us know what type of system you're using. Laptop? Desktop? Try starting up in Safe-mode. Does Windows load successfully? The only thing I can immediately think of is disabling ACPI in your system BIOS. I experienced a similar problem with a Dell Latitude system, and that was the fix.

Good Luck

Is the problem happening every time or just intermittantly? You said you were downloading WinME, so I assume you must have been able to boot up and get online.

To try starting in safe mode, press and hold the control key immediately on startup until the Boot Menu appears. Then choose safe mode from the options.

It is best not to try to upgrade or install anything new on a system so unstable.

Also if the problem has just begun happening, you can try choosing the "safe mode command prompt" from the Boot Menu. At the c:\> prompt, enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry prior to the problem.

Hi,

Did I misunderstand the original post? I was under the impression that Askari meant to say "re-install Windows ME" not "re-download". Also, when Askari wrote "I checked the registry and surface test", I'm guessing that he/she was referring to running Scandisk? If Askari has never been able to successfully boot up, then I would assume that the problem lies within a setting in the BIOS, or possibly some hardware issue. If the system is made by IBM, or Compaq, or DELL, etc... then you might want to check their website to see if they have a supported fix. If you built this system yourself, check the individual hardware manufacturer's website. I had a problem with an AMD processor before that required a patch to successfully boot-up, (some problem with a software caching algorithm). Rog, can you add any further suggestions? :confused:

Colombo, I think you are probably right about the language confusion. More info is needed and removing extra cards such as network or sound, might be a good idea before trying to reinstall. Also, if this is WinME, he will need to use a startup disk to access a command prompt and try a scanreg /restore.

From an a:\> prompt he can enter:

c:
cd windows
scanreg /restore

askari2000th

Hi,
I would like to thank you for reply. Darling I am using desktop computer and it was okay before.
With the help of startup disk I tried to run my pc in safe mode but the same problem remains, mean it shut down again. From scanreg I made restore to previous time which completed successfully, but nothing change.
:confused:

Well if restoring a previous registry had no effect, it doesn't sound like the problem is due to any kind of configuration change. That puts the focus on hardware itself. I'm not sure how you used a startup disk to try to start in safe mode. Normally one just presses and holds the control key during startup to access the Boot Menu and select safe mode from there. Can you get to a Boot Menu?

One thing I would suggest before giving it to a professional or removing the case yourself to remove hardware such as installed cards -- is to test the ram. The best way is to swap out sticks, but you can also try a software tester

I believe DocMemory will work with WinME, but I'm not absolutely sure.

To use it, install it to a clean floppy and boot with it like a startup disk. Have it do a couple of "Burnin" loops before pressing esc to terminate it.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

A failing power supply is another consideration here as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online