1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer is "thinking" all of the time

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hewwo2u2, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me what I should look for that would cause my computer to make that "thinking" sound all of the time? It used to only happen at startup for a short period of time, but now I'm hearing it all the time. I don't believe I'm infected with any viruses or malware. I went through a long process in the malware removal forums and as far as they can tell, my computer is clean. I'm using Mbam as my malware remover and Avast! as my antivirus software which updates daily. I was wondering if Avast!'s on-access scanner could be the cause of my computer's constant "thinking" or if there are some unknown processes I need to stop that are running in the background. Any insight? thanks in advance!

2. stantley

stantley

What are the signs the computer "thinking"? Is the light for the hard drive always on or is the CPU running for some process. Why don't you post a HJT log.

Go to this site http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/hijackthis.php?page=download.

Click on 'Download HijackThis Installer'.

*Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop, or to the location where you normally download.
    *Double-click on HJTInstall.exe.
    *Click on Install.
    *By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
    *Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    *Click on the 'Do a system scan and save a logfile button'. It will scan and the log will open in notepad.
    *Click Save to save the log file.
    *Click on 'Edit > Select All' then click on 'Edit > Copy' (or Ctrl-C) to copy the entire contents of the log.
    *Come back to this thread and Paste (or Ctrl-V) the log in your next reply.

*DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Since you've already been to the malware forum, it sounds as though a hijack log might be a waste of time.
    Why not disable Avast and see if that helps?
    Start your computer in Safe Mode and see if there's a difference.

4. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in response. I will disable Avast first see if it changes anything. Then I will restart in safemode. If it doesn't make a difference, do you want me to go ahead download HJT anyway?

5. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

I don't know if this makes any sense, but the "thinking" seemed louder in safe mode, but finished much faster than when not in safe mode.

Also, disabling Avast! did not seem to make a difference.

Computer is not "thinking" as much now as it was the other day...it is only doing it intermittently now. It is still doing it for a long time after start up though.

6. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Are you hearing the fan running, or is it the HDD running?

7. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

The fan is running as well but the thinking I'm referring to is the sound that occurs with the flashing light

8. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

I was also wondering if someone could give me some insight on what is safe to do as far as cleaning up my computer is concerned. For instance, I have been told and have read that anytime I uninstall and reinstall new programs, that I should defragment. But I rememeber being told on here by someone never to defragment. I just uninstalled my ATI graphics driver as well as my Catalyst Control Center because I wanted to make sure I had the most up to date driver and CCC.exe was giving me an error saying it was keeping me from shutting down my computer. Now that I've reinstalled, I want to know if its safe to defragment like it says to do here: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_4.html

I'm also wonderin if its safe to run the disk cleanup option on my computer...

9. Hughv

Hughv

10. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

thanks for the info Hughv, but I am running Vista. Would the same information apply?

What is Ccleaner exactly? I believe I've read on here that it is dangerous as well. would this only apply to the people that obsess over it like with defragging?

11. Hughv

Hughv

12. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

thanks!

13. SandyGunfox

SandyGunfox

If your CPU is constantly running at max, open the Task Manager and click Processes, then scroll down, looking under CPU, for a program with a really high number - probably in the 80s or 90s. This is the percentage of your CPU's power devoted to that process, and when your computer is idle it should go to one called "System Idle Process" or something to that effect.

If it's any other process, tell us what process it is. If it's a program you recognise as something you can safely stop, try ending that process when this happens as an interim solution. Do NOT do this if you don't recognise it or if it's something important.

14. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

Hughv,

I just opened my disk defragmenter and saw that it has been "scheduled" to run weekly! I never even knew this was happening! is this safe for my computer to be doing it that often?

15. hewwo2u2

hewwo2u2 Thread Starter

and could someone tell me which boxes I should check in the disk cleanup?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice