1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer is very old and won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RyanIsVeryTired, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RyanIsVeryTired

RyanIsVeryTired Thread Starter

Hi, hello, if anyone has a moment, I'm struggling to get my Mom's old computer to work. It is a Compaq from 2009, Windows 7. We found it the other day among my moms things and I had hoped I could use it for school work. Well, it worked for roughly a week, but in the past two days, when I went to turn it on, the fan started making noise as though the computer had started, but the screen stayed black. The power button lit up, the light on the caps lock button blinked, the wifi button glowed red, but the screen itself stayed dark. I've tried holding down the power button, removing the battery, turning the computer on both with and without the charger plugged in. No dice. Any advice for what I can do?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on that Compaq?

Because you mentioned a wireless button and a charger, I'm going to assume it's a laptop/notebook and not a desktop/tower.

--------------------------------------------------------------

RyanIsVeryTired likes this.
  3. RyanIsVeryTired

RyanIsVeryTired Thread Starter

I think it can be classified as laptop. It's certainly not a desktop or tower; it's entirely portable if I have a big enough backpack. As for the P/N and S/N, I can't find any such label? There is a product key and on the bottom righthand corner of the screen (the plastic border around the screen, not the screen itself) it says Presario CQ62. I imagine that's not right though?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    That is the model number. This link will show you how to find the information that Frank is asking for. This is only to reference computer you have and if possible show us drivers that you may need. (Edit, the Serial Number is under the battery)

Judging by the info you provided, this machine is about 7-10 years old.

To confirm, the screen stays dark completely from when you press the power on, so you don't see any Compaq / HP logo right at the beginning? If so, then it sounds like the laptop screen is defective. The only recourse to troubleshoot is to connect a computer monitor or compatible TV with a VGA cable on the left side of the computer and see if that works. It may still need a key pressed to switch it to VGA.

EDIT: If the issue is indeed the screen, the cost of a new one is $50 (give or take a couple of dollars) so if you feel adventurous, you could repair this yourself.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's a Compaq Presario CQ62 series laptop/notebook, we need to know its complete model number.
    A dash and additional characters after CQ62 comprises the complete model number.

If the product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) are not on the outside of the case, they may be inside the battery compartment.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice