1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer is very slow to boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by impboy, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. impboy

impboy Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8077 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 25470 MB; F: Total - 953859 MB, Free - 879625 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, Z77 Extreme4
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I had what I thought was some kind of monitor problem one day. Turned out that my power supply up and died after many years of service. So I bought a new one (Thermaltake Smart650w) and I bought a new case (just because the old one was...OLD). Everything was now shiny and new and running fine. Until...

I usually keep my computer running all the time and only shut off the monitor at night. It usually only takes about 20 - 30 seconds to load the OS and be up and running. Now it takes about 5+ minutes. After noticing that everyone who posts to this forum uses Tech Support Guy System Info Utility, I did the same. The thing I notice right away is that my GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti) isn't even listed. I'm guessing this could be the source of my problem but I don't know how to fix it.

In my DEVICE MANAGER under DISPLAY ADAPTERS it list Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 first. Then it list my GPU as NVIDA GeForce GTX 650 Ti. Shouldn't my video card be the only one listed? Could this cause my boot drive (an SSD) to hang up?

Lastly, the weird thing is if I do either a restart or shut the computer off and then turn it on right away, the OS loads normally and very quickly. The slow loading only happens if the computer has been off for awhile (longer than a half hour or so). I'm a senior with just enough computer knowledge to get me into trouble, although I built my own computer, so any answers need to be fairly clear and straightforward please!

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Maybe your motherboard has a built in video card, so therefore Device Manager lists both. Check the sockets at the back of the PC, if there is a VGA jack in the motherboard panel, then that is why.

3. Agye

Agye

I will suggest you try disabling the Intel graphics to see what happens if nothing works try uninstalling the GeForce from control panel and after go to device manager to scan for hardware cuz it might be the installation process of the GeForce is corrupted to reinstall it again. check your BIOS if probably reset,see if you can change the setting to stop the quick reboot

4. geek117

geek117

I would check in the BIOS to see which display adapter is listed first on boot (PCI-E or On-board). The HD4000 is a discrete GPU which is housed on the CPU die itself. If not in use, you should easily be able to disable it within the OS, and configure the BIOS to boot using the PCI-E card first. After all, if you have a better standalone GPU, you likely don't have anything plugged into the on-board connection.

Edit: Is your system clock ok? What about if you turn the computer off, unplug it for 30 seconds, and then back in? Wonder if your BIOS battery went bad and reset your BIOS to defaults... did you ever have to change your SATA operation mode to AHCI when installing the SSD? The difference in boot times on an SSD between IDE and AHCI operation modes is significant.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice