1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer isnt starting up all the way

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hydroshock, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hydroshock

Hydroshock Thread Starter

i have a HPPav 8700(i think) its been working fine for like 2 years almost but in the past 4 months its been doin alot of weird things, and this is one of the worst problems ive had, alot of ones weird like this ive been able to fix by just unhooking certain hardware, right now its booting up to the screen that shows the big company name, where u hit like F1 to enter setup and stuff, well it gets there, it freezes, ive tried hitting F1 it doesnt go into setup it still hangs. any ideas?

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there Hydroshock...

Just a couple of questions...

Have you tried to clear the CMOS ( I 'm not real familiar with HP, you may have to consult the manual as to the jumper location ) ??

Also...

What devices have you unplugged in the past to get it to boot ??

It may be a clue as to what is going on with the pc...

3. carltasha

carltasha

If you got two years you are doin fine . becaust you cant boot up you cant run any online scans and addaware wont wolk , you cant cleen up your start up . only hope . clear the cmose and and try a scanreg /restore , if that doesent work invest in a new hard drive , call us and we will work you through it.,, only an opinyion , but thats what I would do , get ready for a format. it doesent meen that you loose the old hard drive , but you might find it easyer to get a new one , you probably are ready for one anyway .

4. VOODOO MAN

VOODOO MAN

Maybe you may have disconnected a vital part of your hardware, make sure you have plugged in everything firmly inside the case. This goes especially with the power supply unit which supplies power to the motherboard. And make sure everything else has enough power (i.e check the power cables.

If this doesn't work then you may find that you have to invest in a new harddrive. Also check that your power on button is not sticking, I used to have that problem and had to change the case.

5. Hydroshock

well from what i said this has happened before, well it was hanging at that screen, i trid what i did last time trying different hardware setups, then i had just my HD, with out, the other drives(all pcicards in) and i tried booting at hung like normal, but i was doin something else and i just let it sit there, about 10min later i hear the beep and it continued to start up :) thanks for the help anyways, is there anything i can do to make everything basically go back to factory state other than just reformat the HD with their CD's?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hmmm...

From what it sounds like, it is not a problem with the OS but a problem with the BIOS...

Have you tried to clear it, or tried to change the COMS battery ??

7. Hydroshock

hmm i never changed the battery, it might be getting corrupt or erased or something now, i wonder what size to get.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

In order to get the correct battery, you will need to take the case off, and look at the battery ( in some motherboards the battery will have a # of CR2032 or some such # ), and I am not suggesting that this is the problem, because the problem sounds as if either:

1) The HD is bad.
    2) The CMOS is corrupt ( bad battery )
    3) Or just clear the CMOS

9. Hydroshock

yeah, its making that clicking noise, im gunna send it in for the warrantee, cause the warantee is still good. i got 2 HD's to send in. But im gunna do all 3 of those things, i just gotta find the book for clearing the CMOS.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

From what you stated...

It sounds as if the HD is bad ( as VOODOO MAN, and carltasha has stated before ) , I wouldn't fool with anything else...

Just send in the HD and don't worry about anything else...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/90086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice