1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer just quit HELP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fibrofilly, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fibrofilly

fibrofilly Thread Starter

Today I was not on line when it happened but I was working on some of my photo programs. The computer just went off with no warning whatsoever.I have no power or anything.What could it be. Thanks :confused:

2. airdale

airdale

Check the plug
    Check the outlet
    If they work, could be a power supply

Airdale

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi fibrofilly

If you are getting NO lights NO beeps at startup and NO fans running

First check the plug at the wall ( if it has a fuse in it, make sure it is ok )

If that's ok then it must be the power supply unit in the computer

Make sure no cables (plugs) are loose

steam

4. fibrofilly

Okay I checked all the things you all have suggested and it isn't any of those. I have an older Gateway can I take the power pack out of it? Will it work in the other one. Thanks

5. randyrayd

randyrayd

Your older model may have an AT power supply (6 pin). The standard now is ATX(20 pin).

At the back of your tower, where the power cord is attached, if you have a place for the power cord and an outlet to plug another device into, that is AT. If the power supplies appear the same, either both have the extra outlet or both do not, they are interchangeable.

Be sure to ground yourself after taking off the cover. Draw a schematic of where the ribbon cable connectors go being sure to note where certain colors go, i.e. red wire on right or yellow on right. It's not hard, but make sure you reinstall the exact way you uninstalled.

Randall

6. fibrofilly

The newer one has 1 plug and I checked the older one it has 2. Is there anyway for sure to know this is the prob. And what kind of money am I looking at spending?? Thanks Marilyn

7. randyrayd

randyrayd

Without a multimeter or volt meter, I don't know of a "fer shur" way to check the power supply. You might take it out, go to a small neighborhood pc repair shop and they could tell you. Or course you might have to wait two or three days for them to check it. Maybe see if they have a used one, explain your problem, leave a deposit, try it and if that's the problem, go back and buy a new one.

My experience is: If the fan will not even start running, it's the power supply, but then, I have limited experience.

You should be able to get a power supply for around $25.

I just thought of something.....If you have a switch on the power supply (It will have symbols that looks like -/o) and that is to the o position, your fan should work if the power supply is good. If the switch is not in the back, the mobo tells the fan to start.

Randall

8. fibrofilly

It does and the fan does not work so it has to be that.Thanx for all the info.

Now with this one I'm on I put a new CDROM in it and haven't really used it just limited use until now. When I put the new CDROM of course it did make the E: drive for it but it split my C drive now I have a C;D drive and little memory on the C drive and the D is not doing anything . Can I fix this??

9. randyrayd

randyrayd

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I would do a new post to be sure someone sees it. Be sure and post your OS and if you have C and D as physically separate hard drives or partitioned. I think I know what I'm trying to ask, even if you don't????

Anything can be fixed with patience and perserverance.

Randall

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice