1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer just shut off!! now what!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parkerppaul, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parkerppaul

parkerppaul Thread Starter

Specs:
    AMD FX-55 SD
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB PCI-E
    2GB Corsair DDR (TWINX2048-3500LL) 2-3-2-6
    400GB WD SATA HDD
    2 x Sony DVD Drives
    1 x NEC ND-3520A DVD-/+R
    3.5" Floppy
    480Watt PSU that came with the Chassis

I put together this rig about a week ago without any problems. Everything is Brand New except the processor was used in a test setup briefly (one of the pins was bent on the edge but I straitened it out near perfect).

I've finally got just about everything installed and I'm playing Star Wars Galaxies tonight and wham-o... I hear a series of what sounded like crashes (could have come from my speakers, I'm not 100% sure) then my system just powered down. And it wont restart.

I unplugged everything and took a look inside to see if I can smell anything or see any burnt spots and no avail. I thought I smelt a slight off smell like plastic or rubber but it's was more like the "brand new" smell not the burnt smell.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping it is just the power supply. The manual says for a fully configured system to use a min of 500watts... I gambled with the 480 :eek: . However, when the power cord is plugged into the power supply the MB lights indicate that power is being received. Is this consistent with a power supply failure???

Please Help!! :eek:

2. jakesp

jakesp

I had a power supply go and I was still getting lights on the motherboard, so it could still well be the PSU.

3. winbob

winbob

When some PS's trip their thermal breaker you have to switch them off/on with their Toggle switch before they will restart. Have you tried that?

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

yikes!

5. steveb1492

steveb1492

You were probably drawing way too much power from the PSU, and it blew. Nice comp though. Try going with a better (and higher quality) psu.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice