1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer just stopped...power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puter hater, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

I was working on a slide show using PROShow and the computer froze up. I mean like it was going no where period. I gave it plenty of time to figure itself out but to no avail.
    Unfortunately I had to pull the plug to get it to shut down( I know don't say it!) Well that was it. It will not start. it will not do anything it is just dead. I check the electricity and the plug to which the computer was plugged in to is good. The light I use to check it with lit up.

I even tried a different plug different wall....still nothing.

So I am guess the power supply may have gone out.

Need a tutorial on replacing it. Did a google but nothing came up.

puter hater

2. brite750

brite750

first off when you push the button nothing happens right? I mean no lights, no fans, no sounds, if so then yeah my vote would be for a new psu. ok they are pretty darn easy to replace, i know with all those wires it may look complicated but NOT really.
    1) unplug the darn thing, and wait a minute or so for eveything to discharge
    2) unplug the MB, cd-rom drives, hard drive, fans etc.
    3) take the 4 screws out that hold it to the case and start easing it out making sure the wires dont yank anything else loose
    4) install new psu fastening with the same 4 screws
    5) plug everything back in

20 0r 24 pin atx plug to mb, also there may be a 4pin 12v plug in MB also, there is a clip on those plugs that line up with the socket
    drive plugs are keyed, so its really hard to mess up, if you have any questions ask

3. puter hater

yep no lights ,no fan,no sounds no nodda......

great will give it a shot tomorrow or Monday. Have to get to the store for new part. Its to late right now.. This will be a first for me.
    Will post as soon as I can get it done. Thanks for anwering..

4. brite750

brite750

5. puter hater

I found that flow chart but didnt see the tutorial untill u sent it. Thank you .
    I have been to 2 store and no one carries a power supply that the same as mine.Mine is ATX switching power supply 450....

Even on line it seems to come up as case and all witch I don't need. I have wasted several days trying to fine the matching power supply....

6. brite750

brite750

wow, what pc do you have that has some unusual psu, they are all ATX switching, they switch volatge from 115/120vac to 12vdc/5vdc/3.3vdc

7. brite750

brite750

oh BTW it doesnt have to be 450watt, it could be more

8. puter hater

Dell Dimension 8200
    I can get 500 or 430 ?

9. brite750

brite750

yeah the wattage doesnt matter, the components will use what they need, it is geneally good to upgrade from your current one 450 to 500, but I'm sure the 430 will supply your current needs. today it is much more importanat to look at the AMPS not wattage so much. Again you DO NOT have to match your current psu, more is fine. You do need to match the ATX MB connection though, if you have a 20pin you will have to buy a 20pin or a 20+4, which will work also, if they are 24pin you will have to buy an adapter to get the 20pin

http://www.tomshardware.com.tr/howto/20050404/images/sharkoon_atx_connector.jpg

10. brite750

brite750

11. puter hater

if you have a 20pin you will have to buy a 20pin or a 20+4,

Are you talking about the thing that you snap into the mother board. That is the biggest connector?

12. brite750

brite750

either one will work, you can even buy a 24pin but you need a 20 X 24 pin adapter

13. brite750

brite750

and yes the biggest plug that snaps into MB

14. brite750

brite750

15. puter hater

Great thank you ......ok maybe now I can get this done

puter hater

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice