1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer just turned off like I pulled the plug

Discussion in 'Games' started by Flowdrip, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

My computer has just done an instantaneous shutdown twice in a row while playing Rainbow Six Lockdown. My computer is watercooled (CPU, both GPU's, all HD's and the chipset). The CPU was only 32C or 89* Fahrenheit. The GPU's were running at 41C or at 105* F. That isn't the least bit hot. What the heck could be doing this?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Power supply would be my guess. You are pushing allot of video card for a 650 watt Truepower.

How do you have the 4 connectors hooked to your card? I know you are using adapters somehow.

Check into a PC power and cooling PSU. Here is one rated for dual 8800GTX http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S75QB

That is one hell of a rig to trust to a mainstream PSU.

3. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

My PSU is one of the higher rated ones out there. It is only 3 or 4 months old and has worked fine the entire time. Problem is, I don't have another PSU large enough to run this system, so I can't check it to see if that really is the problem.

4. kornishspike

kornishspike

i found my pc at home (im now at uni) it was the GFX card that did it. my pc at harm isnt too shabby and can effortlesly run UT2003 on full gfx (i use this a the main comparison for games cos its massively texture and model heavy)

yet wen i went and bought Postal 2, i could play 15 minutes (average) before the power went dead like the plug had been pulled.

i also found it did the same if too many gfx related progs were running. at one point the desktop alone "killed" the pc.

and the gfx card is the one below the one i have now (home pc is an ati sapphire radeon 9250se - it can run nearbouts evrything)

i did various test n used various progs to find the cause, and actually found it (as pointed out) that it was a power fluctuation - the gfx card needed the juice for the processing, the CPU wanted more and the RAM did - usual amounts being used, but then wham HDD kicks in n wants to read and it cuts out the least important device - the gfx card. (the memory is instantaneously dumpable/flashable, whereas RAM takes a flash program or a restart to fully get rid) - as such the power cuts out. This registers to the mboard as a failure - if a device fails, 99% of AMD/P4 mboards shut down to save the MBOARD and CPU.

Theres the problem. I sorted it by the simplest way - unplugged all USB devices (they do drain power like no tomorrow) and ran my monitor on its own plug rather than from the PSU.

Try it. worked for me.

5. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

Since my computer did this the two times, it hasn't done it since. I tested each of my power supply lines and each of them produced what it was rated for. What you explained sounds logical in sense to what happened to your rig. I, for some weird reason:) , think logic and computers just don't go together!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice