Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Just will not connect to net

2K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Yesterday I acquired a hp compaq dc5800 for free from my fathers work place, I had hopes of making it a secondary storage device to store some non important files on maybe install a few low spec games on it to save space on my other computers but it Just will not connect to net no matter what I do, Its running windows xp and the interface is confusing me but I have become semi-literate in its interface, I added a gateway DNS IP but still wont connect to net, I used cmd commands to reset ipv4-6 still doesn't work, I'm very frustrated with this machine now, If someone could help me I would highly appreciate it

#2 ·
You didn't say if that HP Compaq dc5800 is a small form factor or a micro tower model.
Both models appear to have a Broadcom or Intel ethernet device.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Network Adapters heading.
What's the exact description of the devices listed there?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the Windows XP interface is confusing to you.
Most people actually find the Windows XP interface much easier to use and navigate through than Windows Vista or 7 or 8.1 or 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
You didn't say if that HP Compaq dc5800 is a small form factor or a micro tower model.
Both models appear to have a Broadcom or Intel ethernet device.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Network Adapters heading.
What's the exact description of the devices listed there?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the Windows XP interface is confusing to you.
Most people actually find the Windows XP interface much easier to use and navigate through than Windows Vista or 7 or 8.1 or 10.

It is micro tower, When I click network adapters It has one device that says "Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection"

#4 ·
I'm very familiar with the Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Ethernet device and can confirm that it works fine with Windows XP SP3 32-bit.
The last driver that Intel released for it is version 18.3.62.0(9.16.10.0) and was released in May 2013.
It's my guess your micro tower has an older driver version.
If it does, go here, then download and save the PRO2K3XP_32.exe file.
Close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the install process.
See if updating the driver resolves the connection issue.

I'm not there, so I'm going to assume that you do have an active internet account and an undamaged ethernet cable and an undamaged Intel ethernet device.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
I'm very familiar with the Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Ethernet device and can confirm that it works fine with Windows XP SP3 32-bit.
The last driver that Intel released for it is version 18.3.62.0(9.16.10.0) and was released in May 2013.
It's my guess your micro tower has an older driver version.
If it does, go here, then download and save the PRO2K3XP_32.exe file.
Close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the install process.
See if updating the driver resolves the connection issue.

I'm not there, so I'm going to assume that you do have an active internet account and an undamaged ethernet cable and an undamaged Intel ethernet device.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It just got rid of "intel 8s566DM-2gigabit ethernet" from the devices manager

#11 ·
Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

#12 ·
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-172f81d05d
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network C
onnection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-5A-28-EE-E7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.154.188
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>
C:\Documents and Settings\admin>

#13 ·
Terry is one of the networking experts here, so I'll leave you with him.

If perchance the Intel integrated ethernet device has gone bad, you can replace it with an Intel ethernet card that fits in one of the white PCI slots.
Here are a few that you can choose from.

#18 ·
When you get a used machine it's far better to just install the operating system instead of trying to trouble shoot whatever junk is on it. To continue trouble shooting you'll have to first figure out what firewall is now on the system and what ones may have been on previously and not completely uninstalled. For the driver make sure you have SP3 (or SP2 at least) and the latest driver from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.