1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Keeps Freezing, Don't Know Why...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpiDoL, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

My computer periodically freezes up, and I have to manually turn it off and back on again.

It wasn't a major problem before, but lately it's been freezing a lot, and now it's getting annoying. I need to figure out what's making it freeze, and how to solve the problem.

My specs:
    Processor: AMD Sempron Processor 3300+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz, SSE3 Support
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c as of April 2009
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (ForceWare Version 186.18)
    Sound: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)

2. Megabite

Megabite

First thing you can check is a heat issue......not sure if this is a desktop or laptop?

Does this happen after the PC has been on awhile?

3. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

It's a desktop. And I leave it on all the time.

4. Megabite

Megabite

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Those specs really do not give us much to work with. Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following it custom or home built, Mother Board, Processor, Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

6. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

Here's my fan stats:
    [​IMG]

@dustyjay:
    Not today, but this week I'll take apart my computer and give you better system specs...

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    you can download Belarc Advisor it is free. It will give you the specs of your motherboard, processor, Ram and much more. You can get it here. The only thing it wont tell you is the make, model and specs on your power supply.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Don't know how accurate those readings are but it seems your voltages are running a little on the low side.

9. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This is a gateway computer? You should be able to pop the side panel off and look at the power supply. If you have not replaced it, it is probably a Bestec Power supply. This would probably account for the low Voltages, and the low voltages could account for the freezing.

11. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

It's actually an eMachine. I'll look at the power supply, but what can be done about the low voltage?

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    REplace the Power Supply. Emachines is owned by Gateway which both are now owned by Acer, which makes 3 low quality systems owned by one company. Emachines definitely uses low quality power supplies. And Bestec is usually their brand of choice. Bestec Power Supplies in eMachines computers are notorious for causing problems. Especially when they blow out they burn out the motherboard when they go. Suggested brands would bve Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PC P&C, Thermaltake, Enermax, Seasonic, FSP, aomong a few others. Do not be cheap when buying your power supply. You usually end up spending more in repairs than you save on the power supply. Here is one that would worek for your system and won't break the bank. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703017

13. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look into that.

And BTW, you're right. I looked at the power supply in my computer and it WAS a Bestec. Only 300W.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice