1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynabol, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dynabol

dynabol Thread Starter

Hey guys n gals, hoping you may be able to shed some light on my problem.

My computer keeps freezing randomly, sometimes it may unfreeze and i carry on playing my game but most times it freezes and i have to hold down the power button to turn it off, there is no error and i have no idea what is causing it.

I am on windows 7
    2 tb hard drive
    GTX 570 GPU
    i5 2320 CPU
    450 PSU
    8GB ram.

I really have no idea why it is freezing and i'm scared it might be damaging my system.

Edit: And i also sometimes get the blue screen of DEATH!!!

Please help!!! :(

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    We need to know when its freezing. Does it freeze on Desktop? When Gaming? When Watching Videos? WHos the maker of your graphics card? Whats the Make, Model, Watts and +12V rail amperage of your PSU. When you get the BSOD whats the error code? what game are you playing? My guess upfront would be you are underpowered seeing as youre trying to game on just a 450W PSU. Most decent graphics cards require a MINIMUM of 450W PSU.

EDIT:

I just looked up your 570 and it requires a MINIMUM of 550W PSU. So you are going to need a bigger PSU BEFORE we can move forward with troubleshooting this issue. I recommend a QUALITY (corsair (not builder series) or thermaltake PSU. I would get at least a good 600W+ for breathing room. The card also requires 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors.

3. dynabol

dynabol Thread Starter

It freezes when i'm playing a game. world of tanks is the game i play at the moment. Nvidia GTX 570. Not sure about PSU, It's a a 450w though. i don't know the error code off by hand.

The power shortage was also my guess. yet i play lots of other games and it doesn't do it, only just started happening recently.

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    If it only freezes when playing a game that would stem to confirm my diagnosis. You will need a bigger PSU. World of tanks may not be REALLY graphic INTENSIVE IMO but it does put a HUGE load on the card and thats why its doing it in WoT and possibly not others.

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
  6. dynabol

dynabol Thread Starter

Ok thank you for the advice, i will upgrade asap.

7. dynabol

dynabol Thread Starter

Would turning down the graphics suffice in the mean time? i currently play on ultra with a solid 100 fps

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    it might BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THAT PSU ON THERE AT ALL you are really underpowered right now. and for a tip think about it if you get ULTRA settings with a SOLID 100 FPS your card is working hard to do that. just an FYI

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is good advise; STOP using the system until you replace the pw supply. You are over-stressing the current unit and asking for a problem.
    You will damage this system if the pw supply fails and takes out the mb, ram, video card, etc, etc.

That is if you have not already damaged the system due to pw surges from the under powered pw supply.

550W is the absolute minimum and a more realistic wattage would be 600 or slightly more. Good brands; corsair [not builder series] seasonic, pcpower&cooling or FSP.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Thank you for confirming my advice, CRJ. I think its sometimes makes weary OP's feel better when they see advice from a TA or someone with 40,000 posts. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice