1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Keeps Freezing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DarkMan_X, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarkMan_X

DarkMan_X Thread Starter

Alright, lately my computer has been freezing up. I can't think of anything too drastic that would have caused this. I did have a problem with a hijacking, and I did have to do a system restore last month and had to recover my files. I first noticed it while playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It would let me play for 15 - 30 minutes and would freeze making a high pitched squeal come out of my speakers. In the past few days I've tried to use WinRAR to compress a file only to have my comp freeze at 10%. And tonight I tried converting an AVI to an MPEG and no matter what program I use, Windows seems to completely lock up. Specifically, I'll first lose control of my mouse and then my keyboard stops responding. I just reloaded Windows at the beginning of the year, so I'd like to not resort to that. Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. Narcon

Narcon

It could be a few things causing your problem...Is your hard drive full or are there a few gigs free? Are alot of your games/ software cracked? Ram? I would also ctrl-alt-del when you notice this starting to happen and check to see if anything under CPU has a value greater than 90.

3. WinXP2004

WinXP2004

Hi DarkMan_X,

Do these in order below:

During a boot, tap the F8 key or go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Boot.ini and check off /SafeBoot/Apply, reboot.

Scan - Disk

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scan Disk/Thorough

Defragmentation - Disk

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter

Scan - Disk

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scan Disk/Standard

4. rude

rude

Just a thought,but have you thought about disabling startup items that you don't need to start on bootup.Having too much stuff in there can slow your system down dramatically.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Also go here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    and check out the service configurations,there are a lot of services that you can disable to help your system run better and faster

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!