1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dipunm, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dipunm

dipunm Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have just bought a whole bunch of new hardware, and did a fresh install of windows 7 not too long ago. Now I don't know whether this is a driver issue or (more than likely) a hardware issue, but every now and then, whilst doing non-intensive stuff like browsing while listening to music, the computer will freeze for a few seconds, sometimes 1 second, sometimes 30 seconds or more, I just wait for it to unlock.

Sometimes (3 times in total now) it doesn't ever unlock. I cant restart using the reset button so I have to hold the power button for 6 seconds and then it will forcefully power off.

My spec is:
    Windows 7 64bit professional
    Zotac H55-ITX MOBO,
    4GB RAM,
    Intel i5 3.2GHz processor
    160GB HDD
    1.5TB Freecom E-Sata (I use this as my documents etc.)
    lian li pc-q07b case.
    Nvidia 8600GT 512MB VRAM -- this is the only thing that I could salvage from my old pc.
    No Optical drive, the motherboard has an onboard wireless N card, and onboard sound (realtek).

I really hope it isn't the graphics card, It hasn't ever happened when playing high intensive 3D games but that could just be chance.

Its never happened when the pc was not playing some kind of music, but again, that could be an off chance thing because I rarely ever have my pc silent. So when it freezes, it always buzzes (playing the last note over and over I think).

Anyways, I think I have given as much info as I can give at the moment.

Please advise.

Thanks!!

2. djdoitbig

djdoitbig

You will want to test your RAM using Memtest86+
    Download Memtest86 .iso file.
    Burn it do disc using ImgBurn
    Download and install ImgBurn.
    Once that is done, right-click on the memtest86+4.10.iso file and select "Burn using ImgBurn or Open with>Imgburn.
    Then burn the .iso image to disc.
    Leave the disc in your PC and reboot
    Your PC should Boot from CD, if not bring up your boot menu and boot from CD.
    If any memory errors are detected, you have a bad stick of RAM. You can test this quickly, by removing one stick of RAM at a time and seeing if it continues.

Next test your HD using you HD manufacturers diagnostic utility (i.e. Seagate, WD, Hitachi, etc.)

If neither of those options work, start your PC in safe mode, by pressing F8 repeatedly while windows is starting up. Select Start PC in safe-mode with networking. Download and install Malwarebytes.
    Update Malwarebytes and run a full scan on your PC.

Also download CCleaner.
    Go to Tools>startup> and look for unnecessary startup files that are booting when your PC starts.( i.e. google, adobe, java, etc.) Also look for anything located in c:\users\(name). (especially if the file name is a bunch of random letters, i.e. ererfwefserewd.dll)

3. dipunm

dipunm Thread Starter

Hi,

As I mentioned before, I don't have an optical drive on this computer so I can't run the memtest. I am currenty looking for a spare USB key that I can use instead.

I did however take your advise about the HDD and I found something interesting:
    I used seatools for windows (my internal HDD is seagate).
    The internal HDD was fine in the short DST (drive self test) and the short Generic

The external (freecom) HDD was fine on the short generic test but failed both short and long DST instantly.
    This could be because DST is seagate only, but I am not sure. But it got me thinking... it happens when I am playing music etc. well, all my multimedia is on that drive. Also, I have recently had a few issues regarding windows not recognising the disk. Once it just dissapeared whilst i was listening to music. I tried restarting the disk and checking the connectors to no avail. The only solution was to restart.

Also, now, the drive seems to dissapear when un-hybernating. I got it back by switching the HDD off and on but even then, windows recognised it in the device manager, but it took maybe just under a minute to come up in my computer and then a few seconds more to be usable.

I dont know maybe its some bios setting issues?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice