1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Keeps Locking Up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mortamus, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mortamus

Mortamus Thread Starter

I am using a Umax PII 300. Here recently i have been having problems with my computer locking up at random during use sessions. I have not been able to deduce the reason for this so i am writing in this forum. I have 128 megs of ram(enough for most user progs), a vodoo III with the latest drivers, i use RoadRunner internet, a yamaha opl soundcard the latest DX, you name it. I can't figure it out for the life of me. I am thinking maybe a memory prob cause the comp will lock up after a certain period of time after using various progs. What are some of the causes for lock ups? The ones i can think of are IRQ conflicts, sys resources conflicts, device driver conflicts, DMA conflicts etc... i haven't found any of these things. Any suggestions?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Ram going bad and overheating will also. Have you tried a fan blowing into it? May also help to check for spyware and such. Go here and get aaw.exe, download and runit, clean what it finds.

http://www.wilders.org/downloads.htm

Use the msconfig link next to my name to stop some of your progs at start up. This will help to free up resourses.

Welcome to TSG. :)

3. Mortamus

Mortamus Thread Starter

well i have done that and nothing is running that shouldnt be.

4. rkselby98

rkselby98

The reasons for a lot of lockup or stalls are low resourses, (too many programs running at one time and the hard drive needing cleaned.

Instructions for cleaning the hard drive can be found on my site. They are listed in the index and the ones to follow are followed by the 3 red *

Also follow the instructions under msconfig for removing programs at startup you don't need running in the background.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html

5. Mortamus

Mortamus Thread Starter

Everything is running optimal. No reason for comp lockup found. Isn't their a diagnostic prog that win can run to give a list of what errors may have occured?

6. ratchet

ratchet

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice