1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer keeps on switching off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by slickrick29, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slickrick29

slickrick29 Thread Starter

Hello i am having a problem with my computer it keeps on switching off. I read the thread about it and i cleaned out the fan. It was clogged full of dust. In my bios, when i go to power, the the voltage meter 3.3V is at 4.08 and red. It has not changed since i cleaned it. When it first occurred it went back to normal level after i left it off for awhile. Have i got permanent damage and if so to what component would it be the power supply or the chip processor.

2. ShadowMeph

ShadowMeph

are you connected to the net when this happens? if so disconect from the internet and reboot and see what happens if your problem goes away then I would turn on your fire wall of gewt a fire wayy also clean out the virus's that you have on your comp because if you don't have a fire wall and you log onto the net or ( if you are always connected to the net) it only takes l about 10 second to become infected with out a firewall. this is of course asuming that you have no fire wall. now if that didn't solve your problem or you the interent isn't a factor then I would think that your power supply is acting up, but I am not a tech I am just going by my own experiences lol good luck either way :)

3. CRemedies

CRemedies

If your pc keeps shutting itself off, this typically means that it is overheating and trying to cool itself down to prevent further damage. Another thing that could cause shutdowns with reboots is a bad motherboard. Your message was not very specific. You did not say that the pc would restart on its own when it shutdown or if it just shutdown completely and did not restart on its own. This is an important detail.

4. slickrick29

The computer completely shut down and i had to turn it on. As it turns out the problem was the powerpoint i was plugging the computer into. So far my computer has not had any problems since i changed it over but i think there is some kind of damage to the power supply. Thank you for your help and suggestions. Hope i don't have anymore problems. Slickrick!!

5. -i-Ver$ioN

-i-Ver$ioN

Well, since slickrick29 seems to have resolved his problem, maybe you could help me out. :)
    My computer (sometimes) restarts itself. This usually occurs when I have too many websites open, and then try to load a program, ie: Winamp.
    Any idea(s) why this would occur?
    Thanks.

6. slickrick29

Well it seems to me you may have spyware or some type of virus. Downloading free software from the internet may be contributing also. Try using webroot spyware remover demo. You can use it for 30 days for free. Make sure your virus protection is up to date and scan once a week.
    Slickrick!!

7. -i-Ver$ioN

-i-Ver$ioN

No, I have spyware, virus and trojan protection, along with a firewall on my router and computer. I scan with all 3 programs at least once a week, and they're all fully updated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice