1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer keeps powering off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcgimlin, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcgimlin

mcgimlin Thread Starter

my computer keeps powering off...sort of. I run Win XP home on my desktop. When i turn it on and log in, i have about 1 minute to get situated before the screen goes black and i get the "monitor self test" message box that says the monitor is working fine. The thing is, the green power light on the box is still lit. I have to hold down the power button for a few seconds to get it to completely power off, and then i turn it on, log in, and go thru the exact same thing again...every time. any thoughts? oh, and i got the computer in feb of 2004, and it's a gateway, if that makes any difference.

2. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

tell us-
    -what hardware is your PC (or model number)
    -Have you made any recent changes to your PC
    -What do you use your pc for

3. dashdanw

dashdanw

also, are you certain its not just a graphics card issue? if you tap the power button (as you would to normally shut down the machine) what happens. What about soun d output, when your playing music and it happens does the music stop?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice