1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer keeps rebooting by itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmackler, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmackler

bmackler Thread Starter

Computer keeps rebooting itself. I assumed this was a overheating issue. computer will run fine for a few hours and then automatically reboot. sometimes it happens after 10 minutes, other times after an hour. very strange.

took off the cover, cleaned out all the dust (suprised how much there was) with compressed air. cover is still off, and even have an external fan blowing on it.

running XP. speedfan clocks everything at a good temp except for the GPU which is at around 58-60 degrees

ran malware bytes, adware and spybot. found a few minor things but cleaned them out. Im stumped as to why this is going on.

all help is appreciated.

thanks

2. AshleeD

AshleeD

It's a desktop? How old is it? How long has it been happening? Maybe it's dying.

3. IT-Support

IT-Support

Sounds like your PC is Blue Screening and Windows is set up to restart on BSOD. To turn this off:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Then next time it dies hopefully it will tell you that its BSODing.

You can also have a look in EventViewer to see if you're getting any errors.

1. Start -> Run

2. Type eventvwr

3. click OK

Have a look under application and system to see if you're getting any errors, around the same time as the restart, and let us know what they are.

4. bmackler

bmackler Thread Starter

desktop is 2 yrs old. ran fine before, this just started yesterday.

5. bmackler

bmackler Thread Starter

IT Support -
    Thanks. will take a look at the event viewer next time this happens. looking at it now for previous events and the only error worth noting that I see under System is "this device\device\harddisk1\D has a bad block

I had turned off the automatic restart before this, but it still doesnt bring up the BSOD. it just reboots as if someone hits the restart button.

6. bmackler

bmackler Thread Starter

ok, so I got the spontaneous reboot again.

no BSOD, eventhough I dont have the auto restart clicked on the properties

In Event Properties the 2 errors I have during around the time of the reboot is a Service Control Manager Error - Apache2 service terminated with service specific error. after that only information entries and this device\device\harddisk1\D has a bad block" which I mentioned before.

does this help?

7. IT-Support

IT-Support

Oh dear, thats usually the start of a harddrive death.

I'd get a new harddrive and move the contents of your current second harddrive to the new one. Then remove the old one.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for. From personal experience once you get a bad block there is no repairing it, someone else may have had some luck with this.

8. bmackler

bmackler Thread Starter

are you serious? not the answer I was expecting at all. cant believe this. can I do a system repair on this harddrive or should I just say goodbye to it? how long do I have? not long I assume. thankfully I havae two harddrives on this computer. I can transfer it to my data drive and then everything to a new drive. so thats what is causing this constant reboot?

9. AshleeD

AshleeD

I would transfer the data now. Maybe you have a couple of days, maybe a week or two and you won't be able to startup at all. The way it's going i'd suggest the former possibility though.

10. bmackler

bmackler Thread Starter

great.
    i just ran a chkdsk and I got

file record segment 10500 is unreadable

then it said Errors found. CHDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

11. bmackler

bmackler Thread Starter

update - so I ran chkdsk at start up and it got thru the entire thing, moved some sectors around...and then rebooted. I checked the event log and ddint see a new instance of the disk error. computer rebooted itself 2x since and after checking the viewer each time still no reocurrance of the disk error. does that mean anything?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice