Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Keeps Rebooting, nothing is working

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Saga Lout 
#1 ·
So yesterday evening, I was on my computer when all of the sudden it crashed. No biggie, as my computer is pretty old- 6 year old Sony Vaio with a 7600 GS GFX card, it happens occasionally. When my computer began to reboot however, it was stuck in the cycle, and would get so far as the "Windows" loading screen when I would get a BSOD for about 1/2 a second and the process would repeat. This happened once before I believe and I just turned off my power strip once and the problem was fixed. This time, no good. Now, the day before this happened, I was an idiot and downloaded a rapidshare link, but It passed my virus test (Panda), so probably not related.

The error I received was a simple "no input signal, go to power save." When I tried to boot into safe mode, a whole bunch of files appeared that partition(2)....driver.... I think it may have something to do with a graphics card, as the windows logo on the bootscreen is larger and offcenter/cut off. EVen in safe mode, the computer still is stuck in the cycle. I preferably would like to keep my files as I have tons of purchased iTunes music I would like not to repurchase. (not all of it is backed up, only about 1/2). Unfortunately, I don't know where my windows XP disk is, so I think a restore/repair is out of the question unless I can locate it. But even then, I don't really want to completely reinstall XP, drivers for everything like my printer, scanner, gfx card, etc. I also tried cleaning out my computer with an air duster, as it was louder than usual. This also did not fix the problem.

See less See more
#2 ·
Without an XP disk to repair or reinstall, you're left with few options. You could download the RC.iso from bleepingcomputer.com and burn that to a CD in the hope of repairing in the Recovery Console or use a Linux Operating System to rescue your files as a LiveCD then install it and forget Windows.

Either way, your music files aren't lost - you can retrieve them.

#3 ·
...so I was able to somehow get into safe mode and deleted a file that might have been the source of the problem, but the problem is still here. The computer would not let me SYSRESTORE, as it said "Contact Group Administrator". I was able to stop the reboot cycle and get the blue screen to stay up and I was able to read the stop error it gave me: (it was cut off)

...ole or uninstall all any anti-virus, disk defrag,...(b)...ackup utilities. Check HD Config. Check for updated drivers. Run "CHKDSK /F" to check HD Corruption then restart.

STOP: 0x00000024, 0x001902FE, 0xF29E484, 0xF192E180, 0x86E4F889

Only problem now is that I am stuck at the BSOD. :(

#4 ·
Worse comes to worse, I'll try to use Ubuntu. My brother has 2 disks, one says diagnostics. (Ubuntu disks)
Should I use that one to try to boot into? All I want is to be able to do a system restore to get rid of the problem and get on with my life.

#5 ·
Update: I was able to get to XP Repair and it asks for a password. I entered the password I use to login every time I get on but the computer said it was incorrect. I feel like I am getting closer to fixing the problem, but after every step there is another roadblock. :(

#6 ·
Update: I was able to get to XP Repair and it asks for a password. I entered the password I use to login every time I get on but the computer said it was incorrect. I feel like I am getting closer to fixing the problem, but after every step there is another roadblock. :(
The password it's looking for is the Administrator password, set up on installation. If you installed and didn't set one, you may just need to hit Enter without inputting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.